Degassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degassing

Tonight I degassed the Kenridge SB and winexpert chateau Vieux du roi. I used a whizz stick but neither wine produced hardly any foam, even though I gave them both a good thrashing. Question is would they have degassed themselves in any way?.

Thanks

Jon

They could well have given up some gass if kept for any length of time in a warm enough environment. Equally, I have found it quite difficult to get any gass out of a new kit wine if it is too cold, no matter good a thrashing I give it.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Thanks Dave

They were both kept in the kitchen which was a constant 23/24 degrees during primary and secondary.
      Must admit yesterdays cold front which blasted through meant the temperature dropped to 19. Maybe I should stick the brew belt back on.

Comment

23/24 the gas will come out a lot easier than at 19

Comment

Well the Barolo and Pinot Grigio are now bottled. Went out and bought a heat gun for the shrink caps which speeded up the process instead of using a hairdryer. Will be bottling the SB on Tuesday or Wednesday, bulk aging the château Vieux du Roi and then starting the Amarone and Voigier either tomorrow or Monday. Been a busy few weeks in all. Now I have to sit back and wait before cracking a few bottles. Always the hardest part.

Comment

Did you keep the receipt
            Steam from the kettle is good or inverting then in a pan of boiling water. Bent big paperclip holds them in place.
            Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 21-10-2014, 04:39 PM.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Its was only £19 from Argos. Saves steaming up the kitchen and potentially knackering the kettle. A good investment especially with the number of bottles left to do.

Comment

For my heat shrink caps I just boil a pan of water, say 5" deep , slip the cap over the bottle top, turn upside down, dip half the cap in for 1 sec while holding the edge with finger tip, this then holds it in place then dip the whole cap under the water. Whole process takes about 5 secs per bottle.

Comment

Working...
                X