No announcement yet.

2014 Tastings.. how is it getting on ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Tastings.. how is it getting on ?

Just tasted my Merlot, it has just finished malo (99% sure) first year with proper french oak.

Spanking. nice and clear (by gravity) ready for first racking sometime v soon. I liked it so much I had to have half a bottle

special thanks, to a very nice chap gave me some D21 (JFB). I might have to source some of this for next year.

Might have been a bit sparing with the oak 6-8g per litre (cooperage recommendations) - let's see how it develops.

How is everyone else getting on ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Most of mine only finished fermenting about a week ago. Just inoculated with ML. Once that finishes, it will go into barrels.

Smells good, though.
    Steve

Comment

Although not at grapefest, I too have Merlot and Monti on the go. I used RC212 with both. The Merlot started to pong about 3rd day of fermentation so I put in about 10g/20L Trozonymol (sp?). I did the same to Monti as a precaution.

On racking, they both smell terrible, bad eggs. Whole kitchen like a 1st WW trench. Taste spoilt too by the eggy overtone. Though underneath there is the wreckage of a fine wine.

I've put them in the garage to get a chilly bit of conditioning.

Any ideas? Will it magically improve? Any action to take?
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
      Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

You nearly had me going there... I was convinced I had replied on this subject, and here it is....

There is a bit more . I would like to add....

There is some new thinking that nutrient can be a bad thing - often causing the yeast to grow & metabolise in a different manner to that which it normally would.
        So for modern makers, DAP is now considered old school (in grape wines) The latest thinking behind yeast nutrient has changed. It is no longer "what do we need to get it through fermentation" it has progressed onto "how do we optimise the nutrition for the yeast". This is a quite different question and obviously brings a different set of answers.

I have never used DAP (trono) I keep some in the cupboard as a precaution - to remedy hydrogen sulphide production, but am pleased to say it has gone out of date... I have never had the problem.

This year under advice I used B12. I cannot say whether it was this or the D21 (normally RC212) however, I am very pleased with the Merlot results. Probably the best yet.

This probably doesn't sound very helpful - I am getting there I promise - my opinion is continental grapes do not need DAP (in normal circumstances) and they also benefit from a warm environment (like back home). Having spent all that money on the quality grapes is 50p on the electricity bill a bridge too far

You might also want to consider tannin as an antioxidant instead of sulphite (or as well as) if the grapes look a bit tired after a long haul up Italian roads, across France, over the Channel and then up the motorway ... just remembered that might have had a benefit toooo.
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Well knock me down with a semi inflated pig's bladder!

That's amazing from twenty perspectives.

a) the great amount of help, advice and wisdom therein;
          b-t) I forgot I posted it

Grapes were in fine fettle this year, some of the best - yes it was a bit cool in September. Let's see, I started 13/9, pressed at SG 1.010 on 19/9 and racked off the lees 1/11... that's probably 4 weeks later than the minimum. I think I'll make a note to use something other than RC212 - I stick with it because I prefer Burgundy to anything else, though it's interesting you get no problems. Maybe the ambient temp is the problem - either because it's too cool or it fluctuates.

Another variable is the oak. I didn't oak and I remember the bits you showed me were still smouldering. There's a lot of carbon on the oak you toasted and charcoal can get rid of pongs (or my son's trainers would be kept in the garden).

Many thanks - much appreciated
          Last edited by ToulouseLePlot; 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM. Reason: thought it was a much older post I'd made (duh!)
          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Don't be put off RC212 It is a v good yeast - but I can see your thinking.

Well spotted .. "another variable is the oak" .. not sure its relevant to stink producing though.
            Carbon content I see your thinking - however - I used oak dominoes from a french cooperage this year to resolve an issue with unstable anthocyanins. Hence no carbon content whatsoever and to be fair the oven doors couldn't take it anymore !!

I like to make one change per year, so you can see the effect, but someone cleverly pointed out that the grapes will be different every year !! Better is to do the best you can every year. hmmmm. No sure on that one

PS Oak dominoes make GREAT IPA beer ... sorry off topic !

Comment

Working...
            X