Beaverdale reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale reds

I have been making Beaverdale white wine kits for a while now and find them excellent. I want to try a Beaverdale red now and am torn between the Barolo, Californian Red (the Californian White is brilliant) and the Chateau Du Roi. I know that taste is subjective but I could do with some guidance. I used to drink the Bulgarian Bulls Blood and Chianti (not mixed), are any of the ones mentioned similar to these, particularly Chianti.
    I like Beaverdale because of the price and there is a local shop that stocks it.

Thanks

Brian
    Last edited by meddyliol; 30-01-2015, 11:28 AM.

blimey, I can see your confusion..

What you like to drink seem to be two different ends of the scale.
    The lighter Chianti is mainly Sangiovese grape 75+% - so it is never going to be big.
    Whereas Bull's blood is mainly anything you like as long as its Bulgarian (more towards mideels and big rich varieties)

That does not give me any direct hits, if I try and match that to the beaverdalel range...

Barrollo - exactly what it says on the tin, big Sicilian - Primitivo & Nebbiolo
    Chateau Du Roi - please I seem to recallpetite Sarah grape kit (think Shiraz grape flavours)
    Californian red - dunno

So ........... we are down to guesswork - for what it's worth, here's my guesses

Barrollo - probably Biggest and darkest finish
    Chateau Du Roi - probably middling - probably old world, European finish
    Californian red - probably lightest & probably New World.

Which leads us to options .....

1. have a punt on the Chateau Du Roi
    2. Have word with the beaverdale manufacturer
    3. See what the local HBS has to say?

What a long-winded way of saying, I do not really know!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

For someone who doesn't know it's not a bad answer. I will probably go for Barolo (not sure if there is one 'L' or two) but will have a word with HBS owner.

Ta

Brian

Comment

Barolo - yep one L
        Chateau du Roi should be similar to Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Steve
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I have made a fair bit of Beaverdale California red, it is a smooth light to medium bodied fruity red. Dangerously easy to drink but does not seem to match your tastes! Taking advice from the Homebrew shopkeeper is good, knowing what you are aiming for helps but make sure they had made the wine themselves or have tried the finished product.
          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Working...
          X