Any suggestions for de-stemming grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for de-stemming grapes

I manages to buy grapes last year, and de-stemmed the whole lot by hand (6/7 boxes) It took about 2hours per box (downside) on the plus side, I had perfect grapes.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to make a homemade de-stemmer, however I want to keep the skins, in the fermentation for 7/10 days.

I thought about buying something suitable, but they are expensive, and I only need it for a few days a year, I am not sure hiring one is an option either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MrT

A square wooden frame with chicken wire stretched across it can make a destemmer, simply pop it over your bucket and draw the grapes across it.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi Bob

Thanks for your suggestion it has possibilities, although chicken wire is galvanised with zinc, and I am thinking the grape juice might dissolve the zinc.
      However a wire mesh that is found in say a grill pan would certainly do as you suggested - I shall think about this, I have until September to decide.

Once again thanks for your input

Comment

Red or white grapes? ..... and I am not having your leg up. The process is very different.

For Red. What about crushing them first and then pouring them over a clean inverted milk crate. This has been used very successfully in the past.

hhm.. also how many you thinking about?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Did you mean for white? How do you get skins in play?
          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Working...
          X