No announcement yet.

Sodium Metabisulphite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've done my calculations, added the correct amount of sulfites, bulk age for 6 months, and then bottle.
    How long can I expect the wine to be protected for?

Daview

Comment

Originally posted by Daview View Post
      So I've done my calculations, added the correct amount of sulfites, bulk age for 6 months, and then bottle.
      How long can I expect the wine to be protected for?

Daview
      That's a good question but this is not just a function of sulphites but wine body, tannin, acid and other style factors (e.g. red or white) as well as bottle colour and storage conditions. But assuming you have calculated sulphite level correctly and not exposed wine to too much air in the bottling process then wine will keep for a long time and the other factors will likely have more of an impact. At this stage free sulphite (free SO2) is there to scavenge oxygen more than anything else so if you hit 20-30ppm (of free SO2) as clean wine goes into a clean and sanitised bottle then you will be in great shape.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
      X