What varieties to choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What varieties to choose

I am doing some preplanning for putting in some vines at the end of next year. I will be in the Southampton area and wondered what varieties to plant for that climate. The plan is to train them using the guyot system. I want to make both red and white wines. I am also planning to put up a pergola on the back of the house and would like to grow a red variety on it. In addition what grafted rootstock would I need for that area?

David

What sort of wine is it you wish to make?

This may influence your decision on varietal.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I am in Basingstoke, not too far north from Southampton and although the climate is good (for the UK) you would probably look at more cool climate grapes. If you want red then avoid Cab Sauv, Tempranillo, Syrah etc. probably better off with Regent, Rondo or Pinot Noir (but PN is always tricky). The ones that have worked best for me have been Phoenix (white) which seem to love it round here and I should have a really good crop next year. Chardonnay is versatile enough (works for me) and people say Pinot Meunier also works well - generally good with Champagne varieties. There are some folk who have planted some much more substantial vineyards than my backyard few so they may have a different view and so much depends on soil, aspect etc. Also as Bob says, what are you interested in making? You may find this site useful http://www.englishwineproducers.co.u...und/varieties/
      Best of luck
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

+1 Bob

IMO. If you plant anything plant white.

Rondo has a unique taste - try it before you plant - you might not like it.

REGENT get eaten by birds and wasps. Myself and many others discovered this to our cost. I took 50 up for that reason alone. You put the work in and before they are ready they are gone.

Might also be worth asking yourself if you are a maker or a grower. Very few peeps seem to be good at both.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Might also be worth asking yourself if you are a maker or a grower. Very few peeps seem to be good at both.
          sooooooooooo true
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Brian, you raise a good point. Try the English versions of the wines for the grapes you are planning to grow. That is if you plan to do this anywhere near seriously. If, like me, this growing lark is just for a bit of fun then you can't go wrong with Phoenix, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir IMO.

Given what Bob and Brian say about growing and making, I would never now admit to growing grapes (or perhaps making wine)...
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
              Given what Bob and Brian say about growing and making, I would never now admit to growing grapes (or perhaps making wine)...
              Pay no heed, he makes great wine!
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Very kind. Thank you Bob.
                Simon

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have made wine from grapes before. They were dessert grapes I believe but with some acid balancing the wine was very drinkable. I have also grown vines twice before but sadly had to move before I got a crop. I will be growing mostly whites but would like to grow some reds. I am planning to plant 20 vines in my garden and I thought of stand-alone systems Moeller Loop or Goblet rather than trellising. Your thoughts on this would also be helpful. Just to raise the jealousy level, I am in Cape Town at the moment and intend to visit some of the vineyards in the next few days.

Delta

Comment

Sorry, Mosel loop.

Delta

Comment

Cape Town - that's a long way to go to get grape vines :-)

If you do grow a red - and I for one share your enthusiasm & have tried it with 50 vines - you will need to modify your winemaking methods. English red grapes are not the same as Continental red grapes. They do not get enough sun FACT. So they can be made into a very pleasant wine , but let's not kid ourselves that they will make the same red wine as our Mediterranean cousins.

It is a heavy pink ( or lighter red) probably about 11 – 12%. Abandon all stalks these will only lead to a green vegetal taste because they are not getting ripe enough.

I do not think they need an extended maceration time to extract every little bit of colour & taste. What happens if the colour becomes over extracted and the wine over promises.

Or put another way, you 'see' Guinness and when you put it to your lips you get lager. Remember the reaction to that cup of tea that turned out to be coffee!

There are many in the English vineyards association that consider attempting to make red wine in the UK is just a winemakers folly. I have made some smashing English reds, but they are IMO just that - and quite frankly not a patch on a Mediterranean red.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X