Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not had this happen before.

Hi all

My first post so sorry to start with a question.

I started a 10l batch of peach wine nearly two weeks back in the normal way. It's had a very slow start and then after 1.5 weeks has just really kicked into life. It's been kept at a constant 23-24c (The yeast range is 20-25c), it's O.G. 1085 (max for this yeast 1090) after a week it had quietly dropped to 1045 but a few days later and the airlock is now going like a steam train. Any ideas why this could have been so slow in kicking into life?

I've used all the norm ingredients:
    Pectolase
    Citric acid
    Yeast nutrient
    Cane sugar
    Tinned peaches (in grape juice)
    Oak scraps (I do a load of woodwork) to add tannin.

I normally get a steady fermentation after 24hrs and primary slowing to a finish after two to two and half weeks racking at about 1008-1010. This fermentation seems to be performing the other way around.

Thanks

Guessing: Is the yeast old or out of date? In which case it took longer in the lag period to get established. What yeast did you use ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Well it didn't have any negative effect on the final product, it's still very young but first sample is nice. It stopped a little higher than normal at around 1.005 but it makes a nice change from the normal dry finish.

Will enjoy this one in the summer (may just add a little vodka to the glass).

Comment

Working...
      X