Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck ferment

Hello all 
    I started a cheapish kit red quaffing wine a while back.
    It seems to have finished fermenting but it still tastes too sweet. I have racked it and tried to restart it twice now, using Lalvin K1-V1116. The first time it did ferment a little further. But this time it has doing absolutely nothing. It's showing 0.996. I'm at a loss now as to what to do with it. 5gallons is a lot to throw away !
    Any suggestions please ?
    Thanks
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
    Hello all 
    I started a cheapish kit red quaffing wine a while back.
    It seems to have finished fermenting but it still tastes too sweet. I have racked it and tried to restart it twice now, using Lalvin K1-V1116. The first time it did ferment a little further. But this time it has doing absolutely nothing. It's showing 0.996. I'm at a loss now as to what to do with it. 5gallons is a lot to throw away !
    Any suggestions please ?
    Thanks
    Well if it's showing 0.996 it's unlikely to go much further down as the reading is telling you that it's done pretty much all of the fermentable sugars. So it could be that it's just a perception of sweetness. Equally is it possible that it also had some non-fermentable, even artificial sweetener in the must ?

Dunno, because usually the issue is that it's too dry for someones taste.

You could try and add some vodka as that would "dry it out" a bit. Just remember, that if you did try a little bit in a glass (say try 125 mls, which is a "standard" glass) then add a measured amount of vodka to the glass - that might get you to the taste you like, but you might also find that it reduces "body" in the wine. Normal practice to improve body in a home brew wine is to add a tiny amount of glycerine, but that also has some inherent sweetness to it.

meh ! I'm thinking that you could just whack a couple of bottles of cheap brandy in it, then stabilise it, sweeten it to port/sherry sort of levels and then just add some oak chips and put it out of sight for a year or two..........
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Good call. Make a port.

Add a bit of tartaric acid - test in the glass first. The acidity will mask the sweetness.
      IF you want to give it a zing use Citric acid.

What temp are you taking your readings?

But really - don't bin it - there is always something that can be done.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X