Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are two kits better than one?

Hello

I've just bought two of Wilko's 30 bottle Medium Red kits as they were on offer for £15. My previous experience has been with Wilko's kits that while the taste isn't bad they are a lacking in body.

This got me thinking, if I used both kits and less sugar to produce 30 bottles would this just throw the acid balance way out or could I end up with a nice full bodied red?

Has anyone got any experience of doing this or any words of warning?

Thanks
    Paul.

If you haven't done this already then I would caution against concentrating the juice too much. Doubling the juice doubles the acid. You'll get a way with adding a bit of one to the other or fermenting both 'short' (ie less water) but you don't want a finished product that takes the enamel off your teeth!

An alternative could be to add 500g sultanas to one kit to see if that works...

Regards
    D

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Well great minds think alike. One kit has been in the fermenting bin for close to two weeks, I made it a little short and added 500g of sultanas... lol. Will see what it's like when I rack it but I may add 200ml of grape concentrate if the body is still lacking.

Paul.

Comment

Lol! Sounds odd but a bit of sugar in the finished wine sometimes helps round a cheaper red off too. I find that bit of sweetness provides a touch more 'mouthfeel' although thats not really the same as body...

At the end of the day you get what you pay for with kit reds. Just enjoy the bargain!

Comment

Funny you should mention adding the sugar as I was also going to possibly add a little glycerol for the same reason (just not as sweet).

Comment

Good call. Safer too. It won't suddenly start re-fermenting.

To go back to your original post. To kits can be better than one....

a) Larger volumes of wine. Ferment much better than smaller volumes.
            b) If you do decide to try it do for something like 1.5 times the volume.
            So say it is a 5 L kit make it a with 2x concentrates to 7.5 L.
            Check the SG and bringing back to where it should be.
            Correct The acid balance after fermentation, by taste, if required with tartaric acid.

Well worth the try. You'll be surprised the difference you can make - particularly with cheapo kits.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have to try this now.

I've got one of the kits left so I'll make it down to 17.25l (75% of the recommended volume). I'll then follow exactly the same method, SG and additions (quantities adjusted by 25%) as for the above batch.

When finished I can do a direct comparison between the two. Hopefully I will then be able to evaluate the benefits (if any) and if it's worth the 30% loss in final output.

I've noticed wine making is truly a matter of balance, When making it I appear to have a degree of intelligence but drinking it manages to balance that out.

Comment

Working...
              X