Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Wine Making

Hi,

I am new to Wine Making so I am seeking a bit of advice please.
    I have at present have a Kenridge Classic Chardonay Kit on the go, It is going through it's final fermentation stage.
    In the instructions it say's if you want to keep the wine longer than 6 months to add a half teaspoon of Potassium Metabisulfite which I think is a steriliser.
    I did purchase a lot of my kit from Homebrewonline which is based here at York and in the kit was a small tub of VWP Cleaner/Steriliser.
    My question is would this VWP Steriliser do the same as Potassium Metabisulfite, I haven't used it for anything else other than sterilising my equipment.
    I just wondered that with them both being a steriliser VWP would do the same job regarding re keeping the wine for longer than 6 months.

Hoping that you can understand my question.

Kind Regards

Tony1

Hi Tony

Sorry for the late reply, I'm not online much these days.

Definitely not, the steriliser is a bleach based product. Potassium metabisulphite is totally different. If you havent got potassium metabisulphite add one campden tablet per gallon.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi Toni,

Kenridge kits come with all the ingredients including potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. You should not need to add anything else. The wine will keep well for at least a couple of years as long as your sterilisation has been thorough. Mine never lasts that long glum, glue.

David

Comment

Working...
      X