Braggot recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braggot recipe

Anyone have a good recipe for a true braggot? Preferably one they have tried. I got a gift cert to the LHBS and will be grabbing a few 5 gal carboys and some corney kegs. Want to do something that I have to age a while(beer wise) and a braggot sounds good. Wil probably also do a barley wine or strong ale. Also gotta get a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead (I'm slackin)
    Last edited by joesixpack; 17-09-2006, 03:43 PM.

Originally posted by joesixpack View Post
    Anyone have a good recipe for a true braggot? Preferably one they have tried. I got a gift cert to the LHBS and will be grabbing a few 5 gal carboys and some corney kegs. Want to do something that I have to age a while(beer wise) and a braggot sounds good. Wil probably also do a barley wine or strong ale. Also gotta get a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead (I'm slackin)
    Joe, I know this has been up and unanswered for a while, but are you looking for an extract recipe or all-grain?

Two guys from Michigan talking on a mead board in the UK. Go figure.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by compleat meadmaker View Post
      Two guys from Michigan talking on a mead board in the UK. Go figure.

Ken
      Being interrupted by a bloke on the Sussex coast though Oh and welcome to WAH Ken.

I've not made it but "google is my friend"

Makes 5 gallons (18.93 L)
      8 lbs. pale ale malt, crushed
      2 lbs. Vienna malt, crushed
      1 lb. dextrin malt, crushed
      3 oz. Cascade hops (25 IBU) 60 min.
      1 oz. Cascade hops (8 IBU) 30 min.
      1 0z. Cascade hops, 2 min
      9 lbs. honey-one with a big aroma. or a blend of several varietes
      2 tsp. yeast energizer
      2 tsp. yeast nutrient
      10 g Lalvin D-47 yeast, rehydrated
      . OG: 1.120
      . FG 1.018
      I use an infusion mash. Mash in grains with 11 quarts water at 180 F, hold at about 146 F, rest 30 minutes, test for starch conversion. Heat to 165 F to mash out. Sparge with 3.5 gallons at 185 F. Sparge directly onto bittering hops in boil kettle. Boil 60 min, adding hops as scheduled. After 60 min, cut heat, add yeast energizer and nutrient, honey. and stir. Chill to 70 F, transfer to fermenter, aerate vigorously, pitch yeast.

Extract Alternative Method
      Those seeking to use extracy can substitute 6 pounds of amber DME, add water to 5 gals, and proceed with the boil.
      Make sure you use a fermenter with plenty of head space. Bottle with 3/4 cup of corn sugar or ked and carb.
      Dunno is that's any help or not?

regards

JtFB
      Last edited by fatbloke; 22-03-2008, 01:15 PM.
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
      X