Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it was me, I'd remove before I was going away.

BTW - I made some mandarin wine a while back. When it was young it was horrendous - it almost made my cheeks implode. I left it a year or so and it transformed it. If you want to drink this one early, I think you'll need to backsweeten it.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Thanks Pete.

I'm happy to save the mandarin for 12 months etc. I've been making plenty of kit wines to give us something to drink while the fruit ones age. If wines No 1 and 2 are ready in 1-2 months I'll be moving onto that for interim drinking

Comment

• The mandarin and F.cocktail were sieved before i left. The mandarin made it to 1.020, poor old F.cocktail was still on 1.055.

Back home and they are happy fizzing away, mandarin is 1.010 and F.C is 1.050. I have to say the F.C smells pretty funky, should it be smelling really fruity?

Comment

• Here we go-------------

First post, and hi to you all.
          Not suprisingly, I'm looking for guidance------
          I have looked here and other places for help with tannin from tea bags. The idea appeals to me, as I'm never going to run out !

The problem is measurement----. I'm looking for a rule of thumb starting point for this tannin , to put in a single gallon. To my suprise, on various actual winemaking sites, not silly sites, I've seen everything suggested from a teaspoon to a full cup of strong tea with 6 tea bags in ! Now, that's a HUGE variation for a single DJ !

Could someone give me help on how / strong tea to make for a single gallon ? I just want to have something to start working with , a baseline, that wont be TOO tannic or flabby, that I can adjust as my experience grows. Please dont suggest other types of tannin, I've made my mind up that teabag tannin is so easy, it's the way I want to do it.

If it helps, I'm about to do a tinned Pineapple, and a tinned Grapefruit, then maybe Peach

Thanks for your help !

Comment

• half a cup of strong tea (leave the tea bag in a good 10 mins) should be a good starting point.

welcome to the forum

regards
            Bob

ps grape tannin is better
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• At last !

Clear guidance !

Thanks Bob, and for the welcome. At least I have SOMETHING to work with ,and will adjust to my tastes as and when---

And despite my post, I WILL defer to greater knowledge and check out grape tannin, but no promises !

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxmackem View Post
                And despite my post, I WILL defer to greater knowledge and check out grape tannin, but no promises !

lol

you can add more tannin later if it isnt enough, however adding tea later isnt an option, as it will murky everything, but at least you have a guide, and can as you rightly say adjust batch by batch till you find your ideal

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X