This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned Fruit wines

According to CJJ Berry's making wine from canned fruit there are two basic methods
    method A is where pectolase is added and 24 hours are allowed to elapse (to allow the pectolase to work it's magic) before the yeast is added and Method B is where no pectolase is used (according to the book)

However after much consideration, I think that method A is the best method for all recipes, as using pectolase is a good thing, it aids colour extraction, before and during fermentation, but I think allowing the sugar syrup to cool to 70 deg before pouring it over the fruit is a better option than using it hot as it doesn't drive off Esther's (flavour bouquet and colour compounds) just my opinion, if you use the hot syrup method add 2 tsp pectolase per gallon, if you allow the syrup to cool first then only 1 tsp is reqd, but just use same method (pectolase added) for all.

Using two tins of fruit seems to give more body, or you may wish to mix and match different fruits, one tin of each

Fruit cocktail

For 1 gallon (4.54 litres)
    all measurements are UK imperial

2 X 15oz tins fruit cocktail
    Sugar to SG 1.080
    1 teaspoon citric acid
    1 teaspoon tannin
    2 teaspoons pectolase
    1 vitamin B1 tablet (or yeast energiser)
    Good quality yeast
    Water to 1 Gallon

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher (remove any cherry stones first)
    Boil 4 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.

Allow to cool to 70 F add the acid, tannin and pectolase, stir well and cover and leave for 24 hours (to allow the pectolase to work)
    next day stir thoroughly and add water to 1 gallon, add the yeast energiser and yeast, leave enough room for a head to form during fermentation fit airlock
    stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 strain and rack to demijohn.

ferment out racking and bottling as normal.

Tinned strawberry recipe amended

2 X 15oz tins of strawberries
    Sugar to SG 1.080
    3 teaspoons citric acid
    1/2 teaspoon tannin
    1 tsp Pectolase
    1 Vitamin B1 tablet or yeast energiser
    Good quality yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher
    Boil 4 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, allow to cool to 70 degrees F, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.
    Add water to 1 gallon, add the acid, tannin, pectolase, yeast energiser and yeast, leave enough room for a head to form during ferment and fit airlock
    stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 rack into a clean demijohn, leaving the sediment behind, top up with cooled boiled water.

ferment till finished, racking and bottling as normal.

My particular batch of strawberry wine was made with 2 X 411g tins of strawberries to the gallon (approx 20oz)

hope this helps

I have a book full of recipes, if anyone wants one I will post the ingredients and whether it is method A or B

regards
    Bob

Edit
    I have placed a version of this thread in the new winemakers thread, adjusted to form a generic recipe, that should be easier to follow, and more importantly, a recipe that can be "tweaked" by newbies
    as ever boys and girls, your input much appreciated
    regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Looks like the tannin additions would be too much at 1 tsp. or even a half tsp. for 1 gallon wine. I think the norm for powdered grape tannin is 1/4 tsp per gallon. Do you have a different type of tannin there?
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

"Tinned strawberry is method B

1 15oz tin of strawberries
      2 1/4 lb sugar
      s teaspoons citric acid 1/2 teaspoon tannin
      1 vit B1 tablet or yeast energiser
      general purpose wine yeast (or yeast of your choice)
      Water to 1 gallon"

Lockwood - could you please let me know how much s teaspoons of citric acid are? Also, does it matter whether the strawbs are in syrup or juice? What sort of starting SG should I be aiming for?

Sorry for all the questions but this wine sounds delish and I really fancy giving it a go.

How long (about) does it take before drinkable?

Cheers, Shirley
      www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        Lockwood - could you please let me know how much s teaspoons of citric acid are? Also, does it matter whether the strawbs are in syrup or juice? What sort of starting SG should I be aiming for?

How long (about) does it take before drinkable?

It's drinkable immediately, better at 1 year, but seems to be getting better all the time
        It doesn't make too much difference if its juice or syrup
        I made it with starting S.G. of 1.090, but you can adjust a little if you prefer a little less alcohol, if you want more alcohol I would add more fruit

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        Looks like the tannin additions would be too much at 1 tsp. or even a half tsp. for 1 gallon wine. I think the norm for powdered grape tannin is 1/4 tsp per gallon. Do you have a different type of tannin there?
        It seems pretty well balanced, definitely not too much tannin (even when it was young) I used wine tannin as opposed to Grape tannin, I assume there is a difference, as I see both for sale, if in doubt use less....

cheers
        Bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Not so much the incompetence, it's the illiteracy that's doing you in!

Apparently there is more than one type of tannin powder for use in preparing a must.
          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
            Just too funny
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-12-2006, 08:50 AM. Reason: Would you believe spelling mistake!
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hippie

Could it be an allergic reaction to too much tannin in the wine? Or too much wine perhaps?
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I think you have hit on it, Mamgiowl! Allergic to high levels of tannin!

I am much too gassy this morning for laughing this hard!!!
                REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Mixed tinned concoction.

It's good to see you folks have Bob's spelling problems diagnosed to his allergy to tannin, never blame the plonk!,LOL,

Now thinking crazy, I have a box full of tinned fruit from my mothers house which is near due to expire it's best by date, so I thought what the hell and decided to do a Duff special and throw it all in a tub.
                  I have no idea what will be the end result, but if you guys and girls can think of anything I have missed to make this work please let me know. Oh and before I write the ingredient list Iv'e run out of pectic enzyme, so have used bentonite (hell I'm a novice I can do silly things)

Here goes5 gal)

1100g Grapefruit
                  1700g Pears
                  2300g Peaches
                  320g Manderin
                  525g Rhubarb
                  425g Tropical mixed fruit
                  385g apple

Gave it all a jolly good mashing, tally ho.

Added:
                  Two frogs legs and some DUFFBEER dna (just kidding) although Duffbeer dna is good,

8lb sugar
                  2 tsp bentonite
                  7 tsp pectolase
                  4 tsp tannin
                  3 tsp citric acid
                  4 tsp nutrient
                  2 tsp Harris super yeast.

So that's that, drain cleaner or one to give to those new friends we get when they hear your wine cellars full, lol.

I'll try to keep you updated....Karl.
                  Last edited by Duffbeer; 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

The only things I'd add are definitely pectolase and a little "Hubble, bubble, toil and trouble" chanting and some eye of newt to go with the frog's legs.
                    Let's party

Comment

Ah I spot an expert, Mamgiowl would amylase work the same added later in the fermenting process?
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

No, amylase is for starch and bentonite is for clearing. You need pectic enzyme to rid the must or wine of pectin. Pectin is what causes jelly and jam to 'gel'. Peaches and all canned fruit have lots of pectin.
                        Last edited by Hippie; 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM.
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Y'all must have plenty of Harrises over there. I doubt you need one more, or I would just move over my own self! Sounds like the Harrises over there must love wine also!
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Usualy use Mr Harris's 'super enzyme' but clean out untill I reorder, had to visit homebrew shop in wakie and get some pectolase (does'nt stock super enzyme). Anyway got some in and an extra couple of tsps for good measure, thanks again all for keeping me on the straight and narrow
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              Ah I spot an expert, Mamgiowl would amylase work the same added later in the fermenting process?
                              Are you saying I'm an expert witch?

Let's party

Comment

Working...
                              X