Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing for Acid content

Doesn't the distilled water dilute the test sample, and what makes up for that?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

well yes and no

the distilled water makes the test solution less acidic from a % point of view, but, even though the test sample is less acididic, there is still the same ammount of acid in the sample, and therefore it takes the same ammount of reagent to change the colour, I kno it doesnt necessarily seem logical, but ive tested it several times using just must and must + distilled water, and the results are always the same. (i tested soooo many times as it didnt make sense to me either.

let me express it this way, for arguments sake you have a 5ml sample that contains 4 g/l of acid, (which for arguments sake is "x" ammount of acid) you dilute it with distilled water, the sample is now 25 ml, but it still contains the same ammount of acid ("X") that needs to be neutralised with the reagent, no matter how much the sample is diluted, it still takes the same ammount of reagent to turn the sample pink.

does that make sense to everyone?

it took a while beofre it made sense to me.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Yep. I reckon that explains it well. The ph would likely go up with the water dilution, but still the same amount of acid in it.

Thanks Bob.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

yay!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12