Makes 4 gal

2 x 540g Grapefruit
    4 x 411g pears
    5 x 411g peaches
    1 x 312g manderin
    1 x 540g rhubarb
    1 x 400g tropical mixed fruit
    1 x 385g apple

All the above in syrup, Asda or Morrisons own cheap brands.

All in primary bucket and mash well

Add sugar to sg 1.080 ( 7lb.. 3 1/2 kg approx)
    2 tsp bentonite
    7 tsp pectolase
    4 tsp tannin
    2 tsp citric acid
    1 tsp tartaric acid
    1/2 tsp malic acid
    4 tsp nutrient

Top up with a mixture of hot and cold water to 4 1/2 gallon mark and stir well, leave 24 hrs then check SG, mine was1.080, and add more sugar if required,add 2 tsp yeast (I used Harris super yeast) or a yeast starter if prefered. Leave covered with loose lid or towel, stir twice daily checking sg every couple of days. Mine took 7 days to reach sg 1.020 (average room temp 19 to 22 c).
    Strain to D/j (I have a 4 gal water cooler bottle) which it filled nicely, you may wish to use 4 x 1 gal d/j's or a 5 gal and top up with wgc and water.

I added 1 extra tsp of nutrient and fit airlock, a lively 5 day ferment and sg was .995 (again temp 19 to 22 c). Racked to clean tub added stabaliser and 4crushed campden tablets, a jolly good shake and stir to de-gas, added Richi's
    kwik clear finings and left 24 hrs. Rack to clean d/j or tub and bottle or age in bulk, I did filter mine but it was very clear so optional. Great to drink straight away.
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 24-10-2007, 09:56 PM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Should that read 1/4 teaspoon tannin? 4 teaspoons would be very puckery!
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

1 tsp per gal as instructions on tub, tastes fine good even, think US tannin must be stronger than ours or your teaspoons are tablespoons,, lol.
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong place.

I have a few tins of fruit - mango, strawbs, mixed citrus salad, peach slices, pineapples and pears. These are all in juice. Would they be okay made to the same recipe? Since they don't have syrup I guess I would have to add extra sugar to get SG right? Would that be right?
        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Yep sounds good to me
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Just put another batch of this on the go, but added 1/2 litre of grape concentrate, why? I don't know.
            If you have success with this recipe please leave a message and let us know, so it may encourage others.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Hi Duff,

The answer will probably be obvious to you ... so forgive a humble newbie.

Because of medication, I can't take grapefruit as listed in your recipe at the top of the page, what would you suggest replacing it with?
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Use white grape concentrate or more of the other fruits.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Cheers
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

Update

Well I started a new batch on Monday but this time used a hand blender to squish the fruit instead of a masher, which has two advantages. Firstly it was a doodle against the masher but secondly it speeded the ferment.
                    I pitched the yeast on Monday afternoon and by thursday the sg was 1.010, transfered to secondary and by the following Monday (1 week) it was dry .990 and falling clear.
                    Wooopeeeeeee, I'll be trying a drop by Wednesday I think, I may even have gained the patience to mature a few gallon this time
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Hey Duff, what's the purpose of the bentonite in the recipe? I've added all the ingredients, mashed, added chemicals BUT dont have bentonite here tonight. Is it crucial?

Comment

Not crucial dude, it is just a clearing aid, aid A clay product I believe so quite harmless to add to all fruit wines (I don't add it to kits unless supplied). Was talking to Bob yesterday and he,s most impressed with the effect it,s had on his usually hard to clear ullinsgage wine.
                        By the way have racked mine tonight it,s clearing well, added sulphite and sorbate with a jolly good shake to degas, will be adding some finings later and all being well job done for Friday, going to bulk age this one as I've plenty of quaffing wine at the moment, even thinking of adding some light toast french oak, who knows
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

So I could add it later on then.

I'm jealous, I'm still on my first bulk brew before I have my own to drink while I start experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
                            So I could add it later on then.

I'm jealous, I'm still on my first bulk brew before I have my own to drink while I start experimenting.
                            Yes you can add it later, as soon as possible though, apparently the later you leave it the more you need, and while your drinking it put another one or an easy drinking kit on the go, it'l overtake you shortly. trust me I used to hide my wine when the sister visited cos she'd quaff it all, but these days free cellar and I send her home with a couple of bottles.

Originally posted by DAVID
                            Karl, have you managed to de-gass within a day ?

If so, which method have you used ?

I've been trying different methods with my recent batches and up to now the carboy cap and vac-u-vin method wins hands down.
                            I use different ways during the process, once Iv'e added sulphite and sorbate I fit a safety cork, then I shake the wine like a maniac every 10 mins or so for a couple of hours untill foam and gas is minimal, I then add finings and leave 24hrs, rack off and filter (filtering removes some gas, though can cause problems if too gassy) then leave to bulk age with safety cork in, or if in some cases bottle straight away then I use the vacuvin on the bottle which seems to pull the remainder out ( exluding that rose I took to Donny ) reds often prove a little more awkward. I did however use a hand blender on a kit last week with amazing results, the first few minuite burst left a 4 " fizzing foam, the second burst left nothing. Who know for sure just my own way....Ooops I'm rambling
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              even thinking of adding some light toast french oak, who knows
                              Where are you getting the oak from Karl? only found chippings for sale so far, would really like to get some real cubes of oak.

Rich.

Comment

Working...
                              X