Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eek!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I am now the proud owner of 2x 900g Christmas puds, wonder what I will do with them.

Does this make me a member of the pudding club?
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I was reading the recipe the other day and fancy having a go (especially as crimbo pud's are now in the shops).

The Gervin yeast is a bit of an issue, would either EC-1118 or Youngs "High alcohol/Dessert Wine" yeast substitute ok ?

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yep EC1118 will be just fine John.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Have made a gallon of this guys, fermented to approx 18%, and fermented dry, what would be the best to use to sweeten it? and what sort of dosage of sweetner should i use? just as a guide.
            thanks
            Alan

Comment

I used sugar.

I found that, for my taste, it was best when the hydrometer read 1.018 - 1.022. I added the sugar directly to the wine - it took quite a lot of stirring to get it to dissolve fully (i.e. before I could take an accurate hydrometer reading).

EDIT: Hint: When sweetening, keep a quantity of the unsweetened wine to one side - if you over-sweeten you can add this to reduce the sweetness.
              Last edited by goldseal; 13-10-2008, 09:26 PM.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                I used sugar.
                yup... me too

Hint: When sweetening, keep a quantity of the unsweetened wine to one side - if you over-sweeten you can add this to reduce the sweetness.
                Thats top notch advice Pete
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  I used sugar.

I found that, for my taste, it was best when the hydrometer read 1.018 - 1.022. I added the sugar directly to the wine - it took quite a lot of stirring to get it to dissolve fully (i.e. before I could take an accurate hydrometer reading).

EDIT: Hint: When sweetening, keep a quantity of the unsweetened wine to one side - if you over-sweeten you can add this to reduce the sweetness.
                  Excellent, very much appreciate your advice pete.
                  Will get this done tonight.
                  Thanks

Alan

Comment

Not strictly on-topic, but ....

I have quite a lot of Christmas Pudding based wine on the go - I still have a gallon of this recipe to bottle (that's the one I brought to Grapefest), plus 1 1/2 gals of Wine No.4 (very similar), and 1 gal of a Wine No.4 2nd run.

Now, that's a LOT of dessert wine

I thought about experimenting with some of it. The idea was to sweeten some quite a lot (1.030 - 1.040) and add some brandy, to make some sort of Christmassy concoction.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Suggestions? Comments?
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Just a quick question on wine sweetening i have never back sweetend a wine before i am going to give it a go this weekend i have degassed the wine and sulphited and sorbated and left it 24 hours would you just pour the sugar in and mix or would you make a sugar syrup up and then put it in and would you sweeten the whole dj or do it in the bottles,and i guess from what ive read its just a matter of putting the sugar or syrup in until you get to a taste that you like or would you sugar or syrup it up to a certain hydrometer reading its a wine no1 ive made with some raspberies for a hint. i fancy starting a xmas pudding wine for next year now they are in the shops sorry if this is in the wrong thread

Comment

I have only sweetened a couple of my wines, but I had an idea in my head what sort of SG reading I should end up with.

I added sugar directly the the wine (making a syrup with water and sugar would dilute the wine).

I made sure the wine was at room temperature first to help the sugar dissolve.

I added a little at a time, stirred to make sure the sugar was dissolved, waited a couple of minutes and stirred again, then took an SG reading and had a taste.

When it tasted right, I stopped, and made a note of the SG for next time.

EDIT: The sweetness of your wine will be to your personal taste. For instance, my Christmas Pudding was sweetened to 1.018, but apparently this isn't sweet enough for competition (1.030 minimum, I think). However, I like it the way it is, so I'm happy .
                        Last edited by goldseal; 24-10-2008, 08:05 AM.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Thanks for that gold seal i think that's what it is its all about personal preference i did a dry Blackcurrant wine and when it was finished it was really nice but a bit too dry for me so i used some sweetener i got from the wine shop and sweetend one bottle i only put 1 mm in it but it tasted so much better there was nothing wrong with the wine it was just a bit to dry for me the dry got a vhc in the pontefract show on the dry rose class my best wine to date will try the sugar and experiment

Comment

Darren,
                            Bob did a good thread a while back that explained it all.... LINK

But ultimately, as Goldseal says, it really is a matter of personal taste
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Thanks for the link ive read about four tutorials and the ancient mead thread this week i think if i read anymore i might go blind will defo have a good look cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                Thanks for the link ive read about four tutorials and the ancient mead thread this week i think if i read anymore i might go blind will defo have a good look cheers
                                I didn't think it was reading that made you boys go blind...
                                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Working...
                                X