No announcement yet.

Christmas Pudding wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Pudding Wine without the Christmas Pud?

As we approach the middle of the year, I was thinking of progressing to wine number 4! Not great timing, so has anyone done Christmas Pudding Wine wihout the Christmas Pudding?

Chrstmas Pudding Ingredients...
    Ingredients *Sultanas (20% (Sultanas, Palm Oil) , *Raisins (15%) (Raisins, Cottonseed Oil) , *Demerara Sugar , *Currants (7%) (Currants, Palm Oil) , *Glacé Cherries (5.5%) (Cherries, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Colour: Anthocyanin; Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid , Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide) , *Thornbridge Stout (5.5%) , *Breadcrumbs (Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Vinegar , Emulsifier: Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Vegetable Oil, Ascorbic Acid) , Port (3.5%) , *Sherry (3.5%) , *Vegetable Suet (Vegetable Oil, Rice Flour) , *Almonds (3%) (Nuts) , WheatFlour , Egg , *Orange and Lemon Peel , *Cognac (2%) , Humectant (Vegetable Glycerine) , Molasses , Cream (Milk) , *Mixed Spice (Coriander, Cinnamon, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cardamom).

Which could become...
    Sultanas
    Raisins
    Demerara sugar
    Currants
    Glace cherries
    Stout, Port, Sherry, Cognac?
    Almonds?
    Molasses
    Orange and lemon peel
    Mixed Spice..

Obviously the cooking (with all the other ingredients) will add additional flavours/ complexity, but maybe the dried could be cooked some way to caramelise the sugars...? Worth a go?
    Last edited by Delmonteman; 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Why not use all those ingredients and make the pudding first, properly. (I'd make two, so you could try one after dinner too)

I've been meaning to get round to making this for a while.. time to read the whole thread again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        Why not use all those ingredients and make the pudding first, properly. (I'd make two, so you could try one after dinner too)
        I had thought of that Rich but they are a hassle and an expense to make so I thought maybe there is a quicker route to success!

Comment

It might work......but i suspect that the cooking adds to the flavour and complexity like you say.

Would be very interested in hearing/tasting your results

a note of cation though......I can't ever remember tasting a really wine that was made using short cuts.....but I hope to stand corrected

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

This is a sugar question. Cooking the pub will change all sorts of properties within all the sugars.

Fingers crossed, but I believe you might be better placed to design a wine recipe aimed at that flavour profile, rather than fermenting all the ingredients of the pud.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
              I bottled my Xmas pud wine a few weeks ago and now wish I had waited a bit longer. It's thrown quite a bit of sediment and gone hazy, back into dj's tomorrow I suppose.
              I was looking at this thread as I am going to make Christmas Pud wine at the weekend.

I was wondering, if you had a wine filtered and ready for bottling how can it become cloudy/hazy again? Is it that the yeast has reactivate somehow? I am using Wilko's wine stabilizer before clearing, would that stop this issue?

Comment

Wine number 4 is fabulous. Made it last year from puddings reduced after Christmas. Not only that I managed a second run on the pudding fruit with the addition of some reduced dried fruit from the cake section at Morrisons again reduced after Christmas. I'm waiting for this years pudding "sale". Prooven recipe and all that why not just wait? GrillMonkey wine number 4 will put down a sediment over time as do most reds/with skin wines but something is wrong if it's going cloudy. you're right to use stabiliser/stopper/sorbate as sweet wines can have yeast that may restart and that would indeed make for a couldy bottle but it's probably not that.
                Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

I make more and more of this each year - I have to - everyone wants a bottle! I bottled a couple of gallons from Jan 2013's run a few weeks ago ready for this Xmas, and it's a beautiful golden colour, crystal clear. I've not filtered or fined it. Just let it sit. I always feed it until the yeast give up and then add a little vodka to make sure. No need for sorbate then - but I do still use a little sulphite (not too much as I think it gives a soapy taste). The fat from the suet is a bit of a nuisance, especially cleaning all the equipment afterwards but I haven't had any real problems with it.
                  Oh - and it tastes good too - liquid Xmas pud with a kick! Perfick!
                  Cheers,
                  Dave.
                  If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                  But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Just a thought, although someone must have asked this before? Would using the equivalent Dried fruit and spices etc. give you virtually the same wine, or is it something to do with the Christmas pud being cooked that makes it special?

Regards to all, Happy Christmas and a good New Year. Winemanden.

Comment

Got to be a pud - Fruit and spice willl good you a good wine. But it really will not be the same.

Wait till January and they will be almost giving them away !
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X