easy and quick rice and banana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy and quick rice and banana

this recipe is from memory and i have in the past made it soo many times, very drinkable usualy within 3-4 weeks, but my latest batch took just 8 days from start to finish

for 1 gallon i use

1 kg white rice (i used the cheapest)
    half lb sultanas
    approx 3 bananas (close to a pound) with skins also chopped
    1kg sugar
    gp yeast
    yeast nutrient

add rice,bananas/skins and sultanas to fermenting bucket, (chop bananas and skin as fine as possible)
    Make syrup with sugar, i use an enamel saucepan with 1ltr of water, let cool,
    once cool add this to bucket ,add another 4ltrs water along with yeast nutrient and gp yeast
    Cover, leave for few hours then stir, then stir 3 times a day.
    Once fermenting slows (usualy few days) strain and transfer to a demijon. i usualy give demijon a good shake 3 times a day too (with bung and airlock out )

Alan

Appolagies if this is not neat, not used to righting down recipes...

thanks alan

I'm not sure the rice is adding anything to this process, as you have not converted the starch from the rice into sugar....(will need to think about this a little more...)

I suspect you are making sultana and banana wine.....

to release the starch from the rice you would need to boil it or use amylase or some other additive to convert the starch to fermentable sugars (you cant ferment starch) I think......but I "might" be wrong, I never make this type of wine

Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-08-2008, 06:05 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The early drinkability of this wine leads me to believe the rice isnt being utilised, wines made from converted starch normally take a long time to mature
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        The early drinkability of this wine leads me to believe the rice isnt being utilised, wines made from converted starch normally take a long time to mature
        I would agree bob,but i have in the past made wine from just rice and it has added somthin, i have been reading into sake for some time now and would agree on the starch situation, however i have found that the rice does add to the wine, sake can be made drinkable in just 10 days.
        I am not disagreeing with what your saying by any means, i also have recipes here from ccj including eice and again the rice isnt boiled/steamed.
        Thanks
        Alan

Comment

cheers alan
          I wasnt saying you were wrong (for I'm not 100% sure)

but this kind of discussion helps us all learn

cheers dude
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            cheers alan
            I wasnt saying you were wrong (for I'm not 100% sure)

but this kind of discussion helps us all learn

cheers dude
            Bob
            See, you're not as geeky as you think you are but I bet you are reading up on the subject.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
              I bet you are reading up on the subject.

Correct!
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well after I mentioned about posting this recipe, it got me thinking about recipes with rice and the other "odd" one in "First Steps", the one with cornflour/yellow corn meal and ginger.

I seem to recall that "he" uses amylase in the rice/banana recipe - could be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I read........

Either way, I seem to also remember that CJJ suggests that it is a quick recipe.

I'll have to check again now, cos it'll bug the hell out of me otherwise

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                  See, you're not as geeky as you think you are but I bet you are reading up on the subject.
                  haha, i hope he is reading up on it, saying that theres no better way than actualy trying for your self,
                  I havnt much idea on the theory of starch and the way rice reacts when put into this enviroment..

Comment

Just for the record I too make rice wines with out boiling etc: and had some very nice wines.
                    Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Originally posted by lyntom54 View Post
                      Just for the record I too make rice wines with out boiling etc: and had some very nice wines.
                      I would agree with you . im sure the rice does add to the wine wothout boiling it..

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
                        ,add another 4ltrs water along with yeast nutrient and gp yeast
                        Got a problem here if someone could help please.

Started this on the 29th of April, filled the bucket to just over the 1 gallon mark (about 5 Lts) problem is that after the primary stage had finished and everything had been strained through a muslin bag into a DJ, the amount that I am left with is about 1.5 Lts short from the top of the DJ

All I can think is that the bulk in the bucket makes the level seem a lot higher then it actually is and the 5Lts in the bucket is more like 3Lts once you take the bulk of the ingredients out.

If I top up the DJ with water won’t this make the finished wine a lot weaker or should I be toping up with a water / sugar syrup solution?

The main lesson that I have learned from this is to ignore the marks on the side of the bucket and actually measure the amount of water that is going into the bucket, probably not so important when using smaller fruits (where the mass of the fruit wont effect the water level) but just the bulk of the rice in this recipe can make the level higher seem a lot higher then it actually is

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
                          I would agree with you . im sure the rice does add to the wine wothout boiling it..
                          Anyone care to explain how?

Coz I'm pretty sure it doesnt, the starch will stay in the rice......

the wine is made solely from the raisins im fairly sure

happy to learn otherwise though
                          Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post
                            If I top up the DJ with water won’t this make the finished wine a lot weaker or should I be toping up with a water / sugar syrup solution?
                            I would use sugar syrup, careful when adding though in case of foaming (you will get less using syrup than sugar alone, but you may stil get some)

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I made a syrup using 150gms of suger and its bubbling away nicley

Comment

Working...
                              X