Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Machine Grapes

A little story.

I don't know if any of you have seen this device before. Behold the "WinePod"...

This was a rich man's gadget invented in California. Supposedly you dumped a bunch of premium grapes into it, pushed some buttons, and, a few weeks later, lo and behold, out came wine. It was a home winemaker's dream and everyone would want one, or so said the manufacturer. The problem is that it cost $4500 to own this wonderful gadget.

Sadly, the manufacturers dream did not come to fruition. It turned out that no one wanted a WinePod, and the company went out of business this last Spring.

To make a long story even longer, the WinePod company apparently had 50 tons of grape must sitting in a giant freezer in California. Not just any grape must, but high end grapes from a number of world class vineyards. Crushed and destemmed, too.

When it came time to liquidate assets, my local brew shop put a bid in on the grapes and won the auction. They bought all of these premium grapes for a relative pittance and had them shipped to a location not far from my house.

I picked up 500 lbs myself this evening... Cabernet, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir. And at a fantastic price. Only problem - which isn't really a problem - is that they are from past vintages. The Cab is from 2007, while the Chard and Pinot are from 2008. Seeing how I made Chardonnay last year from 4-year old juice, I don't think it will be a problem, though.

Yay! Happy days... I will be playing with grapes this weekend!

WinepodGrapes.jpg
    Steve

Jealous? Me? Of COURSE I am!!

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Grapefest in a tin, what a find!!!
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

A good score for sure. The only downside is that they don't have a real large selection of varieties. For example, they have Cab from three different vineyards, but not a single Merlot.

I'm especially happy about the Pinot Noir, though. Where I live, Pinot is very hard to get your hands on and, when you can find it, the prices will cause you to lose sleep at night.
        Steve

Comment

What a great purchase, crushed and destemmed just ready to go....

You lucky Dog

however we will be having our grape fun three weeks tomorrow!!!!!

whoo hoo
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Awesome - wish I could be there, Bob!!!

We're planning a family grape picking and picnic in 3-4 weeks. I'm just hoping the grapes get ripe so there will be something to pick. Damn rain.
            Steve

Comment

Well if i get my new IP webcam set up in time, grapefest will be broadcast live
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                Well if i get my new IP webcam set up in time, grapefest will be broadcast live
                OH NO! A record of us all falling about drunk... yikes!!!!
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

noooooo

we will turn it off around 1pm while we are still sober
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

we will turn it off around 1pm while we are still sober
                    party pooper :launchpoo
                    Hootus est

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                      A little story.

I don't know if any of you have seen this device before. Behold the "WinePod"...

This was a rich man's gadget invented in California. Supposedly you dumped a bunch of premium grapes into it, pushed some buttons, and, a few weeks later, lo and behold, out came wine. It was a home winemaker's dream and everyone would want one, or so said the manufacturer. The problem is that it cost $4500 to own this wonderful gadget.

Sadly, the manufacturers dream did not come to fruition. It turned out that no one wanted a WinePod, and the company went out of business this last Spring.

To make a long story even longer, the WinePod company apparently had 50 tons of grape must sitting in a giant freezer in California. Not just any grape must, but high end grapes from a number of world class vineyards. Crushed and destemmed, too.

When it came time to liquidate assets, my local brew shop put a bid in on the grapes and won the auction. They bought all of these premium grapes for a relative pittance and had them shipped to a location not far from my house.

I picked up 500 lbs myself this evening... Cabernet, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir. And at a fantastic price. Only problem - which isn't really a problem - is that they are from past vintages. The Cab is from 2007, while the Chard and Pinot are from 2008. Seeing how I made Chardonnay last year from 4-year old juice, I don't think it will be a problem, though.

Yay! Happy days... I will be playing with grapes this weekend!

[ATTACH]2049[/ATTACH]

50 tonnes!!!!!

That should keep you going for awhile.

The website is till up as well as the shop part of the company - are they still trading on a limited basis? Or are they completely busted?

Comment

Originally posted by kessler View Post
                        The website is till up as well as the shop part of the company - are they still trading on a limited basis? Or are they completely busted?
                        I think it's a case of the lights being on, but no one is home.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X