Cinnamom-nom-nom rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamom-nom-nom rolls

A lot of people asked for the recipe for the cinnamon roll I made for Grapefest 2010 so here it is!

500g strong bread flour
    7.5g of dried yeast
    10g salt
    60g unsalted butter
    40g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    335g whole fat milk* at body temperature

* You might want to lower this by 5-10g. This dough is VERY wet. If you think the dough is okay with less milk, add the remaining 5-10g and have a go. Just remember, you can always add more. You can't take it out.

Filling:
    raisins
    nuts
    anything else. well except sausages. haggis would probably be spot on.

Mix the yeast into the flour.
    Rub the butter into the flour as if you were making bread crumbs add the sugar and salt. and mix throughly.
    Finally add the eggs and milk.

Once the dough is mixed you will probably realise this stuff is REALLY hard to knead. Watch this video to see how to do it. http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/vide...net_sweetdough
    It's tough going, but persevere, and DON'T floor the worktop.

Once it has been worked put in a bowl and cover. Leave it for 1 hour.

Whilst your dough be chilling out, make up the filling by mixing 90g of room temperature butter with 80g of dark brown sugar. To this add cinnamon to flavour. I love the stuff so I had tonnes, the missus hates it so for her I use maple syrup. If using maple syrup or another watery flavour, make sure you mix it till it is creamy, otherwise the syrup and butter will separate.

Cool. The hour is up now time to roll the dough. Use a spatula to scrape it out of the bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Try not to worry it too much here.
    Flour the top a bit and roll it inot a rough rectangle till it is about 1cm thick. Now spread the filling on top and sprinkle with raisins, nuts or whatever else your putting on it. Go bonkers here and add as much as you think. Just make sure that if it were cut into a 1inch square that someone would get a bit of everything; filling, raisin and nuts.

Now we roll it into a tube. Be careful here as it is likely to be sticking to the worksurface in some places. Use a scraper to help it off. Also be careful that the filling is being rolled in too and not pushed by the oncoming wall of dough.

Once it is all rolled up use a sharp knife and cut it into 2cm thick slices. Arrange these on a buttered baking tray, cover and leave to rise for 1 hour. Leave a good space between them. The will rise quite a bit.

(about 15 minutes before the hour is up, set the oven to 200)

Once the hour is up, beat 2 eggs and add a pinch of salt and use this to glaize the buns. Apply 2 coats with a 5 minute gap between them.

Pop the trays into the oven and lower the oven temperature to 180C. Set your timer for 7 minutes. After this check on the buns. All ovens are different and they will be cooking at different rates depending on shelf and tray orientation. Rearrange the trays (change shelf, turn around, etc.) and bake for another 5 -7 minutes. Be sure to check after 5 minutes to make sure they are cooking okay and aren't going to burn.

Remove from oven, and cool on the tray for 10 minutes and then remove from the tray and leave to finish cooling completely.

Decorate with what ever pleases you (walnuts, cinnamon chunks, etc) and eat.

PICTURES!

This is the rolls before rising for 1 hour.

After 1 hour they have grown quite a bit! I prefer servign them like this than loose, but remember, it is REALLY obvious if you take cooks rights and steal a cake from one of these. Go half and half and have some loose ones too.

After baking they rise a little bit more. Notice at the back they middles have popped out? That happens if you roll too tightly. The dough expands and since it cant go out it goes up.
    Last edited by koomber; 26-09-2010, 10:52 PM. Reason: Picutes of me buns
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

I hear Bob has a new baking tin that these fit in perfectly.

I too can vouch that these were good Cheers Graham, it kept me going for another 45mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      I hear Bob has a new baking tin that these fit in perfectly.

I too can vouch that these were good Cheers Graham, it kept me going for another 45mins.
      LoL. I guess I'll just have to get a new tin and find something to fill it with.
      -Police Squad

Comment

nice one, thanks Koomb.... and get walking!
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Hi Graham, Thanks for the recipe. How many eggs go in with the milk?

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
            Hi Graham, Thanks for the recipe. How many eggs go in with the milk?
            Oops. That should say 2 eggs. I'll amend it just now.
            -Police Squad

Comment

Great stuff Graham, will get the wife on this ASAP as she is always looking for something to do!

Comment

Working...
              X