No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive found after i rack it of from the original into a clean demi its a lot clearer within the day then i bottle and prime,and as bob says it drops a bit more sediment in the bottle but doesn't seem to get any cloudier and then when the bottles are hard and i put them in the fridge i lay them on there side and they become crystal clear with a line of sediment down one side which holds there pretty well while pouring
    mark
    p.s i never add any sugar at the beggining only for priming
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• yeasties!

What kind of yeast does everyone usually use for this for the best flavor? I've read most of the posts but am already convinced that I'm going to do it. It probably was already even discussed but just curious! THANKS!

Comment

• Hi,

Update - I am still feeling crap today, so it wasn't the cider !!!

Started a new batch of 18 litres last night, 18 cartons of Tesco Value juice, two jars of honey, and one sachet of yeast.

Can't help on the yeast thing other than to say that i have used Gervin No.1 and that seems to work fine.

I am now brewing using a big office mineral water container, which should work well. However, where can i get big bungs for these things? I have lashed something up with tape for the moment, but would like to do a better job...

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• large corks

Have alook at the home brew shop web site they stock corks 1.1/4 to4.1/4
          regards alan

Comment

• Originally posted by joesixpack
            What kind of yeast does everyone usually use for this for the best flavor? I've read most of the posts but am already convinced that I'm going to do it. It probably was already even discussed but just curious! THANKS!
            ive used several types of yeast and found a few things out ie ale yeast is not good if you want a fizzy cider because all the yeast is used up with just the sugar in the AJ to date the best batch ive had has been a GP yeast ,ive just done several batches using different yeasts ,youngs champagne yeast,youngs cider yeast and a lalvin ec1118,most of these are in the fridge at the moment waiting to be tested i will report my findings, watch this space
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• hi abingdonboy hope your feeelin better was just wondering where did you come across the big water bottle container ive been searching for these as i dont fancy paying for the betterbottle ripoffs(imho)
              mark
              "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• just trying a bottle of tc made with the youngs cider yeast no extra sugar apart from 3 tsp's to prime 1 ltr but there is no fizz so imho the yeast has been killed off with the acohol produced from the sugar contained in the apple juice like the ale yeast i used in an earlier batch this is not to my liking,although there is a good apple flavour
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Originally posted by heeby
                  just trying a bottle of tc made with the youngs cider yeast no extra sugar apart from 3 tsp's to prime 1 ltr but there is no fizz so imho the yeast has been killed off with the acohol produced from the sugar contained in the apple juice like the ale yeast i used in an earlier batch this is not to my liking,although there is a good apple flavour
                  mark
                  If it's not fizzy then the good apple flavour is probably because it's not being masked by the Carbonic acid in the CO2, and so allowing the apple taste to come to the fore.

I'm not 100% sure here but if you added no extra sugar it's unlikely that the alcohol levels have reached the point where the yeasties are rendered inactive....no extra sugar probably gives you 5-6% ABV the yeast should be able to tolerate that level of alcohol.

but then maybe im talking out of me bum

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• When you guys say gp that means general purpose right? Is that something that would be at the homebrew store? Never really paid much attention just get what I want and get out Or are you talking about a bread yeast?(YUK)

Comment

• yes joe gp is general purpose,
                      so bob if alcohol didn't kill my yeasties why are they not carbonating same thing happened to a batch with ale yeast
                      mark
                      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Not 100% sure...

you may well be right about them being killed by the alc level, but it just didnt seem like it would be high enough.

mebbe David knows

David.................?
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• DAVID what is your take on my lack of fizz when using ale and cider yeasts ive done batches with gp and champagne yeasts simaltaneousley and they're full of fizz
                          mark
                          "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hi Heeby,

Got the container from work, but have been told not to take anymore.

You could try a department store, they sometimes have the water chillers for customers to use, or nice car dealerships...

By the way, my Turbo has never foamed violently like some people say, even with the extra honey, so the Gervin No.1 yeast that i use might be the way to go.

Regards,

AbingdonBoy

Comment

• ta for the info AB also the only time ive experienced foaming is when i used youngs ale yeast and it almost came through the airlock with 3 ltrs in a 5 ltr water bottle other wise ive just had a slight froth
                              mark
                              "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• There are many factors affecting yeast performance....

Temperature and oxygen supply are critical factors, as are many others, including alcohol levels.

it's enough (i think) that you know how to achieve what you want with a particular yeast strain.

regards
                                bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X