No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I looked on Youngs website (It's rubbish!)

no yeast info on there
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• yes ithink your right bob i can achieve what i want by using a gp yeast or a champagne yeast i thought a cider yeast would have been a standard yeast strain and there would have been a standard answer i will stop pestering you all now thanks
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hello folks,

I waited patiently and my turbo cider got crystal clear. I put it into 2 two-litre bottles which were primed with 3 teaspoons of sugar, gave a good shake and they have been stood on the kitchen worktop for 5 days. They are slowly becoming less 'squidgy' but there is no obvious 'fizzing'. Should I open them and add more sugar or not?

Cheers, Shirley
        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• 5 days urm strange mine a usually pretty hard within 3 days dont know what to advise did you use a gp yeast
          mark
          "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• This tubo cider sounds good!!
            I am getting 5 gallons of pure pressed mixed apple juice next month and am going to make this cider/Still ,and I think a champagne yeast should work!
            WHAT DO YOU ALL SUGGEST AS A STARTING SG??To get it drinkable quickly.
            Thanks for any input. Tom
            "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Thanks David!! So keep it @ around 6-7 percent ,very good thanks again!!
              "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by heeby
                5 days urm strange mine a usually pretty hard within 3 days dont know what to advise did you use a gp yeast
                mark
                As far as I remember it was Young's wine yeast. bottles are nearly hard but I expected more bubbles in view. Did I maybe let it clear too much? There is evidence of yeast in the bottom of the bottles now.
                www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVID
                  If you do prefer it a little stronger just make sure you ferment to dryness.990 or thereabouts then sweeten up with honey as this takes the "edge" of it and can be drunk straightaway
                  Thanks but will do it at the lower SG, THEN CAN CONSUME IT FASTER!! Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
                    As far as I remember it was Young's wine yeast. bottles are nearly hard but I expected more bubbles in view. Did I maybe let it clear too much? There is evidence of yeast in the bottom of the bottles now.
                    no you cant see it bubbling inside a sealed bottle like inside a coke bottle you will see them when you open the bottle and the pressure is released when the bottles are hard like a full bottle of coke get them in the fridge and chill them then drink them
                    mark
                    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Decided to stick a bottle in the fridge yesterday morning - opened it in the evening to enjoy with a chinese takeaway (I know, strange combination). It isn't bad - not as strong as I hoped though.

Going to make some more and add sugar at the start (this is the right way to make it stronger?) What SG will make around 6% finished? Sorry, haven't got my head round the computations yet (been busy learning a new job).

I like a really dry cider - so would sugar be better than honey to add?

Cheers folks.
                      www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• i cant tell you for sure but around 1.050-1.060 for 6% is what ive seen quoted elsewhere,the apple juice i use is in this range and 1litre takes an effect on me though im not a big drinker maybe your just an old lush
                        mark
                        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• LOL - thanks for that!!! I only had a third of a pint - maybe that was the problem then!! Don't know if I could hold a litre of cider without many toilet breaks!!
                          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• just kidding shirl on the subject of toilet breaks one my friends goes by the saying of "only a fool breaks the 3 pint rule" hence he wont go to the toilet till hes had 3 pints i cant wait that long and usually go after my first pint and then after every pint ,maybe im just a fool
                            mark
                            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• priming?

I've read the entire thread, I want to try this.

If I use the 2-liter soda bottles I should be ok to make fizzies, is that right?

And adding a little sugar to that bottle will prime it?

And is adding the sugar what makes it fizzy after fermenting to dry?

After getting to a dry fermentation I do not want to stabilize because I want residual yeast to cause the fizzie effect? That is the priming?

I've not seen this term before in my reading. I think that I should not use regular wine bottles unless I stabilize, is that right?

If I use a few 1-gallon jugs and cork should I be ok?

We have four couples going to a very large science fiction convention over the 1st Sept. weekend in Atlanta, thought it would be fun to make a few gallons and take along. From my reading I should have enough time to get this done?

Thanks, Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                                I've read the entire thread, I want to try this.

If I use the 2-liter soda bottles I should be ok to make fizzies, is that right?

And adding a little sugar to that bottle will prime it?

And is adding the sugar what makes it fizzy after fermenting to dry?

After getting to a dry fermentation I do not want to stabilize because I want residual yeast to cause the fizzie effect? That is the priming?

I've not seen this term before in my reading. I think that I should not use regular wine bottles unless I stabilize, is that right?

If I use a few 1-gallon jugs and cork should I be ok?

We have four couples going to a very large science fiction convention over the 1st Sept. weekend in Atlanta, thought it would be fun to make a few gallons and take along. From my reading I should have enough time to get this done?

Thanks, Paul
                                2 litre soda bottles are fine yes
                                adding sugar will prime yes usually 1tsp per 500ml
                                this will make it fizzy after fermenting to dry
                                it is the residual yeast that creates the fizzines so dont stabalize
                                no dont use standard wine bottles unless you stabalize
                                1 gallon jugs ar not suitable for fizzy drinks but i have on rare occasion seen 5 ltre coke bottles these would be
                                hope this helps you good luck
                                live long and prosper
                                mark
                                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Working...
                                X