Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more questions

I have not seen this discussed and am not sure if this is a USA problem. Many apple juice available here are pasteurized, I think I want to avoid pasteurized juice. I did find one market brand where pasteurized is not mentioned so I think it might be ok. I was hoping to start tomorrow.

And, everyone mentions demijohns. Can I do this in a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket? I'm thinking with cheesecloth over the top, ferment to dry and transfer to a PET?

Thanks, Paul

Comment

• Paul, when i am doing bigger batches of turbo, i always make it in a bucket. I find it much easier that way. Just a matter of doubling up ingredients. Also, you can add things easier this way, e.g. cinnamon stick, cloves honey etc.

Comment

• Hi All,

Just bottled my 18 litre brew, brewed in a mineral water bottle. It is as good as the last lot that was brewed in Demijohns... Have primed a few bottles to see what that is like.

Will get another lot started this weekend, as this lot is already looking like it will be gone in a week or so

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy

Comment

• We picked some crab apples at the weekend, I hope to add these to the next brew to add more body and see how this adjusts the flavour. What ratio do you think i should use? I was thinking about 4 litres of tesco value to 0.5 litres of crab juice. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• never tried that ab but when the time comes for harvest ive found a supplier of cider apples and i will be trying to do a couple of gallons of single variety cider let me know how you go
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hey Heeby

When you go to the Cider apple Orchard, would you give me a shout?

I want to make some this year, I'm sure David would like some too, you are welcome to use my press for processing the apples, and maybe drink some wine (award winning.....lol) in the process

Also did I remember you saying you wanted some wine making grapes when we get this years batch?

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• just checking my progress

I have 4 gals. foaming like mad. It's actually fun because I can test a sample, and taste it right away. I had gone from about 1.045 to 1.020 and added the fourth gallon which kicked up more foam. Now if I get to about 1.000 or .995 will I be messing up by adding a pound of honey and raising that back up and forcing another ferment to dry?

I then plan to prime 1 or 2 gals. and keep the rest dry.

Comment

• your on bob i just gotta keep watching the site for when theyre ready a very kind offer from you too ive got a press but its just a small boots type let me know when youre getting grapes and ill have to get back to you about them,by the wway bob have you ever been to the bar and brewshop in wakefield had a few nice pints of cider there on saturday the shop wasnt upto much although got some demijohns for half price second hand
                  mark
                  "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Originally posted by heeby
                    by the wway bob have you ever been to the bar and brewshop in wakefield had a few nice pints of cider there on saturday the shop wasnt upto much although got some demijohns for half price second hand
                    mark
                    I feel a day trip to Wakefield on the train coming on....it doesnt take lomng from Knottingley, mebbe David would fancy a boozy day out too.

I keep meaning to seek out that homebrew place, Clare popped in there for me, to pick up some tubing, and then phoned me and got me to explain to the lady exactly what it was I wanted, the lady running it sounds nice.

Must organise a visit.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• yes she seemed very knowledgeable talked for about half an hour with her just the shop was really and i do mean really unbelievably cluttered i didnt know what was for sale and what had been dumped there did look at some lalvin yeasts but they were out of date.but any how the bar is very nice no music we were in till about 5 on a saturday and it started getting full there were several of there own beers on pump plus some others from local brewwerys,and some interesting looking fruit beers from belgium.but me and the oh had a few pints of handpumped cider looked like over diluted orange juice but tasted like turbo and took my head of my shoulders (gone to town in the morning straight after a night shift well thats my excuse)but then again it was 8%.all in all a gem of a place and despite the lack of organisation in the shop the lady was friendly and helpful probably had a lot more stock than i could see
                      mark
                      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• here you go theyve got there own site http://www.fernandes-brewery.gowyld.com/
                        well worth a visit
                        mark
                        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• refrigerate

I plan to transfer to a carboy (dj) today. Will sticking this in the fridge help clear?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                            I plan to transfer to a carboy (dj) today. Will sticking this in the fridge help clear?
                            I didn't refrigerate mine - just waited patiently and it cleared nicely. Took longer than I had expected from what was written in this thread though.
                            www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Now you see Shirl.....

as you become more experienced at doing nothing, things will happen quicker

LOL

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956
                                Now you see Shirl.....

as you become more experienced at doing nothing, things will happen quicker

LOL

regards
                                Bob

LOL - trouble is we finished it all and I can't wait for the next lot to clear!!!

Cheers, Shirley
                                www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X