No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone have experience of using gelatin to clear their turbo cider?

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• no never needed it sorrry
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Just read 25 pages and I'm already planning a 25L batch....Just got my first dj on the go. . I bought beer yeast so it looks like it will be a still cider but thats not a problem. Just means I can drink more without getting bloated from the bubbles.
        Cool forum nobody takes the mick if people ask really daft questions, just helpful advice
        http://www.crashndonna.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The only daft question is the one you didn't ask.

David and I set up this forum because some other forums are quite sniffy with newbies, so ask away.........
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956
            The only daft question is the one you didn't ask.

David and I set up this forum because some other forums are quite sniffy with newbies, so ask away.........
            I and the other newbies thank you for it.

Comment

• Has anyone used any fruit concentrates to make cider? If you have a look at this link http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/ and have a look at their products, the concentrates are under the juice and sweeteners heading. I have made wine from these before and had excellent results. I was wondering if it would make the cider even cheaper and most of the cheap apple juices are made from concentrate. Just need to find a supplier now we closed our wholefood shop when my lad was a nipper(he's 18 now).

Comment

• Hi Chrash,

What is the point to this (for cider i mean), as i believe this is concentrate is about £1/litre when diluted, but the cartons of apple juice are 50p/litre.

Or am i missing something, is the product of that much higher quality?

Now if you could get hold of concentrate in a bulk form and use that then you might have something...

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• We used to sell 5ltr jugs of it and that brought the price right down. I was also thinking about the mixed concentrates they make. There used to be a apple and raspberry, that would make it a bit different.

Comment

• I have a gallon of turbo (plain and straight ) ready to go. I tasted it and I would like to sweeten it. Do I need to let it sit for any amount of time if I use potassium sorbate to get rid of the flavors? Also do I also need to use a campden tab too? I haven't had to sweeten anything yet and don't want to do anything wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by joesixpack
                      I have a gallon of turbo (plain and straight ) ready to go. I tasted it and I would like to sweeten it. Do I need to let it sit for any amount of time if I use potassium sorbate to get rid of the flavors? Also do I also need to use a campden tab too? I haven't had to sweeten anything yet and don't want to do anything wrong!

if you want to sweeten with fermentable sugar you will have to campden and sorbate or you could use something like sweetex granulated sweetener im not sure how long you would havre to stand it for the campden and sorbate to work
                      mark
                      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Originally posted by heeby
                        if you want to sweeten with fermentable sugar you will have to campden and sorbate or you could use something like sweetex granulated sweetener im not sure how long you would havre to stand it for the campden and sorbate to work
                        mark
                        Yes I would like to sweeten with fermentable sugar. I don't like the after taste of non fermentable sweeteners. Anyone know how long to let it stand before I sweeten and how long after adding campden and sorbate before I could/should drink? Thanks guys!

Comment

• I have now racked and tasted my 20% crab apple mix turbo cider. It was very nice with more body, but a little too tart, so i blended 50/50 with straight turbo, and have got a really nice cider, with a little more body than standard turbo.

My conclusion is that i will brew a batch of crab apple cider and blend with turbo to taste...

Worth the effort.

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• nice one ab ive got a couple of carrriers of mixed apples i will also try this
                            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I have just started a gallon of turbo, which for the first ever time hasn`t been adjusted. I havent added anything extra, no sugar, honey cinammon nothing. I just thought for the first ever time i would simply add the cheapest apple juice, yeast + nutrient and shake. My other batches of turbo have been so strong and i thought this time i`ll just go with the original suagr in the juice.
                              I`ll let you nkow how it goes!

Comment

• Look forward to your report on how it was...
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X