No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well i have just bottled ( PETS ) my turbo. I had a sneeky taste ( as you do! ) and it tasted a little thin . I am hoping that a few days in the warm, then left in the fridge it might improve. I have also added sugar to the PET bottles for the first time. I usually just have it flat, but as it was the most basic of all turbo`s i have done i thought "what the hell, lets have some fizz).
    If it still tastes thin, my next batch will definitley have more thump to it!

Comment

• from what i understand the more sugar you add before fermentation the thinner it will be unless you add ingredients as you would with wine
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hi Hong,

I think that Turbo is a little thin without adding things (although still perfectly drinkable ). That is why i am adding the crabs to try to get to more of a scrumpy type brew.

I went to the Newbury show at the weekend with family and friends, and we samples a couple of 'scrumpy' ciders that were on sale. The general consensus was that other than a little oak, there was nothing that they had that our turbo crab didn't.

So off to the homebrew shop for some oak flakes....

Any idea when i should add the oak, and how long to leave it in ?

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• It's just about experimenting till you find the ammount/time that you like

you can always put more in... so start with just a little and keep tasting every week.

I think a little for longer probably works better than a lot for a short time.

You could either add it during primary...or at the end after clearing.

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• put oak in for the fermentation itss pretty quick in turbo so it shouldnt be too much
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I got round to trying mine last night but could only have one glass(I had to get up at 5.30am for work) not sure if the wife liked it but I really wanted more!
              http://www.crashndonna.blogspot.com/

Comment

• wait for the weekend have a nice meal and a pint of water then demolish the lot bu**er the hangover or just have sick day
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I do enjoy a drink and would love a sunday morning hangover but I'm going for a tattoo on Tuesday morning and the more you drink the more you bleed!
                  I'm trying to be a good boy.

Comment

• have some posts disappeared from here
                    mark
                    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• we seem to have lost some...

hmmmm
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• There you go

that explains it

lol
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• ok sorry david just got caught up in conversing
                          mark
                          "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I finally got round to trying my cider and guess what.... I've got 4 more demi johns on the go! We took it to Wales for an evening with our friends and everyone enjoyed it.
                            One of my demi johns has 2 ltrs of Aldi apple and banana juice in it. I'll report back.
                            4 of my workmates are now brewing "Turbo".

Comment

• nice one crash looking forward to hearing how the apple and banana turns out
                              mark
                              "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• First time I've heard of Turbo Cider. Question is this...How does it differ from apple wine? I pressed some apple juice from around 30lbs of apples and put the juice into a DJ, added yeast and let it ferment out. I would normally drink the end product in wine glasses but from what I've been reading, you guys are making something similar to scrumpy which is normally quoffed in pint glasses. Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                X