Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple wine I would normally make to around 12% ABV

cider to around 5 or 6% ABV and may prime in the bottle tocarbonate it.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I'll be sat here waiting. What I haven't noticed about the turbo stuff is how long it takes to make, when's it drinkable and how long does it keep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobby
        I'll be sat here waiting. What I haven't noticed about the turbo stuff is how long it takes to make, when's it drinkable and how long does it keep.
        if you use just apple juice with no added sugar it should take about a week to ferment and if you carbonate the cider that should keep it long enough to finish off the batch
        mark
        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I reckon I'll be having some of that for Christmas then. Ta.

Comment

• Can you do the same thing with apple wine? Prime it and bottle it I mean? I just love anything with bubbles I started a 2 gallon batch last night. My first batch of anything ever and I thought this would be an easy place to start.
            Anne

Comment

• I think I may make a 5 gallon batch and carb it in a cornelious keg! YUMMY! My first batch was great and I only made 1 gallon Everyone wanted some and none is left now!

Comment

• hmmf

Is there anything i can use in place of an airlock for a couple of days anything at all thankyou Joe

Comment

• A balloon stretched over the neck of the demijohn, if the ferment is too vigorous put a pin hole in the balloon.

or just cover with a clean paper towel and fasten with an elastic band, the must will be generating enough CO2 to keep it protected, at the first stages of ferment you are only trying to keep bugs etc out, its OK for oxygen to enter during primary ferment

hope this helps
                  regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Also

welcome aboard the forum, hope you enjoy your time here

please check out the new members area for some free winemaking downloads

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• off smells

I made my turbo cider in August, today I poured a pint and there seems to be an off smell, almost like "fishy" is it time to toss it out and start over?

Paul

Comment

• i wouldnt drink cider that smells of fish but in the interest of science try it and let us know if it does you any harm , did you carbonate it at all
                        ,mark
                        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Thanks..

Yes thanks this is a real help i have added the jusice and yeast but nothing is happening the yeast has just sank to the bottom of the demijohn and i have shook it and everything

Comment

• give it another good shake
                            mark
                            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• It Worked

It worked it just seems like it is fizzing is this right i have got a paper towel balanced and tied on with a elastic band is this right?

Comment

• yeah suppose that'll do seeing as you havent got an airlock
                                mark
                                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Working...
                                X