Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joesixpack
    I think I'm going to sweeten my next batch with juice or maybe concentrate will work better.

Anyways, I wanted to ask when it's best to add cinnamon sticks to your cider? I know in beer making if you add it during the primary ferment it scrubs some of the flavor out. Just wondering what you guys usually do/have done with some success. Thanks!

I threw a cinnamon stick in from the start of fermenting (when i put the concentrate in) and left it there until the cider got to my required SG, and left it behind when i racked to another DJ. Tasted pretty good not to over powering.

I hope to do some tests one day,

1 - with cinnamon stick in till end of ferment.

1 - with cinnamon stick in only when bulk ageing.

1 - with cinnamon stick in all the time until i bottle.

My not be worth while but i'll give it go to see what results i get.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• My first turbo disaster!!!!!!!!!

Tasted my latest 25 litre batch at the weekend, and its bad. It has a bad smell, and tastes 'fragrant' in a bad way, almost like it has been flavoured with flower petels, but in a really bad way.....

Boo Hoo.

Best get some more on quick for christmas...

AB.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVID
        Once fermented to dryness, try sweetening the Turbo cider up with some honey, adds body, sweetens and smoothes out the cider all in one go.

My cider is ready its very dry but it has a kick to it...How much Honey do i add say per bottle ? or do i add it to the demijohn now it has finished fermenting.

BTW the cinnamon cider is so so...not impressed with it to be honest
        Every tree and flower has a purpose, Every mountain and stream has a place, Every occasion has a reason,Every cause has an effect.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauluk
          BTW the cinnamon cider is so so...not impressed with it to be honest
          Bummer. Did you sweeten? I have 5 gallons with 2 sticks of cinnamon in it. Plan on sweetening up with some apple juice concentrate. Hopefully that will help make the cinnamon blend better. Better pick up another 5 gallons of juice this weekend while it's on sale!

Comment

• For anyone in the UK with a Sainsbury's near. They have Princes Apple juice on offer for 44p per Ltr. Even the value apple is 58p.
            I bought all that was on the shelf! I've started off 3 demi johns this weekend.
            http://www.crashndonna.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Looking at this thread I was hoping to find some comments on Brewnut "Honey Brown cider" variation ". I have reached the end of this thread and nothing. Did anyone else try brewnut recipe? If so how did it turn out?

JC

Comment

• Sorry, can't comment on Brewnut. I did try the turbo cider over Christmas. I used Tesco's Finest. Not really impressed. It didn't taste too much like the Somerset cider I had a few years ago. (I fell over after two pints). (Probably the thought of my mother-in-law's turkey dinner).
                The smell was there but it wasn't too rich in flavour. After 14 pints I was still hanging on to the church spire. I needed the strength to give me the wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobby
                  After 14 pints I was still hanging on to the church spire. I needed the strength to give me the wings.

you have to have 15 for the full effect!

lol
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• My latest batch of Turbo, will be made from apple & cherry juice which was on at half price today at a local shop. Think i will throw some honey in too, just for luck!
                    cheers!

Comment

• Turbo & red grape juice?

Has anyone ever tried red grape juice with their turbo? I noticed in the back of the fridge a litre of red grape juice just waiting to be used so it got me thinking about throwing it in a gallon of turbo. Think it will be ok? Any reason if any not do it?
                      cheers for any advice.

Comment

• I think it will be just fine
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• My first attempt at apple cider--I did add pectic enzyme at the start but it's been sitting for 3 weeks to clear and I see no sign of clearing. I have some Super-kleer but this only one gallon and that might be too much fining for such a small amount. Any ideas on how to help this clear up--it's really murky looking now or will time take care of it? The taste is "okay" but I'm not impressed. Hopefully will improve with age.

Comment

• well, didn't realise how addictive making turbo cider is
                            got 4 on the go now
                            apple and grape
                            apple and banana
                            cranberry and blueberry and apple
                            pomegranet and apple
                            cant wait to try them, but saying that watching them bubbling away is fun to
                            will update with results and if any good will post the recipes
                            debs and john
                            www.johndebs.piczo.com

Comment

• yeah its great aint it
                              mark
                              "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• 2 days into first try

hey guys, i read this whole thread and got inspired...so i now have a 4 gallon batch of turbo going! i have a couple questions if you guys could help me out...

first off, i used yeast nutrient the way that David said to on pg 2 of this thread. i also added in some yeast energizer at the same time i put in the nutrient...is this OK?

also, all the winemakers i know stir or punch their must every here and there while fermenting, so i have been punching mine down lightly once a day. i figure this will get more 02 into the mix and help things along. is that OK to do??

the batch is 48 hours in, and its fermenting, but not as quickly as i thought it would. its starting to have a slightly winey taste to it, but its not really fizzy at all....there is a thick brown cap on the must, but its not very bubbly. i think my temps might just be a bit low (20C)?

but i have to say it really does taste great at this stage, and i'm looking forward to trying the completed brew! thanks for all the info in this thread, its been very helpful

Comment

Working...
                                X