No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks, david!! its good to get a little reassurance. it just seems to be fermenting very slowly...the first post in the thread says 36-48 hours and i am 12 past that already and it still tastes pretty juicy

i did add about 3 cups of sugar, until it read between 7-8% on my hydrometer. unfortunately i dropped and broke it so i cant read exactly where it is at now. should it take longer due to the extra sugar?

enjoying my 2nd cup now, and its sooo juicy and non-fizzy that i cant believe it is even alcoholic, but my brain is telling me it is! :

Comment

• Welcome to the forum beachglass. Have fun.

Don't worry if your Turbo cider is taking longer than you think it should. Temperature has a lot to do with it and patience, everything.

I've made lots and times have varied from 3 weeks to almost as many months! Just go with the flow and enjoy
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• thanks, mamgiowl! yes i am very impatient, but three weeks?!?! maybe i will rename this batch 'diesel cider' cause its going slowly and steadily

Comment

• ok 72 hours now and when i open the bucket there is not really any of that thick foam on top....also i can hear it fizzing now

still tastes pretty much like apple juice, with a hint of wine. its very good, but im not sure if its alcoholic lol. i'm going to leave it one more day, then rack into a carboy and see what happens

Comment

• Turbo Cider

Been making wines since the sixties but, just made my first batch of Turbo cider....a couple of questions:- what finish S.G. am I looking for? does the cider ferment out clear?

Many thanks

Comment

• This gets made alot on the JBK forum

link to TC thread

I've got 22L going berserk in the shed - I just poured the 22 cartons straight onto the slurry at the bottom of my FV after kegging 40pints of beer. starts fermenting immediately as the yeast is active and is an inch deep.

My last lot was just applejuice - no honey or sugar or anything. it has fermented down to somewhere in the region of 1.000 (maybe lower!)

it will go bright, just be patient.

I bottled my last lot and primed with more applejuice. takes a good couple of months to get really good btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurgeh
                This gets made alot on the JBK forum

link to TC thread

I've got 22L going berserk in the shed - I just poured the 22 cartons straight onto the slurry at the bottom of my FV after kegging 40pints of beer. starts fermenting immediately as the yeast is active and is an inch deep.

My last lot was just applejuice - no honey or sugar or anything. it has fermented down to somewhere in the region of 1.000 (maybe lower!)

it will go bright, just be patient.

I bottled my last lot and primed with more applejuice. takes a good couple of months to get really good btw.
                Many thanks.........think i'll get some more on the go.

Comment

• got a new meter, and i am hovering just over 1 SG today (day 5) and still fermenting steadily...still a great apple juice taste, but not overly sweet like it was. i'm going to be buying a few more buckets and carboys soon to get more going....i'm thinking apple/grape and apple/pineapple should be interesting experiments

once again, thanks for all the help from an impatient noob!

Comment

• Apple Juice - Morrisons

Hi guys, wandering round the local Morrisons tonight came across a 5 litre box of Oja 100% Pure Apple Juice. Boxed, in a foil bag with tap for the princely sum of £2.98 Might need to get it fast at this price.

Turbo Cider here we come!!

Comment

• good luck mav keep us informed
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Hey Duffbeer - your tinned fruit medley inspired me, hoping to replicate your success there buddy. Normanton eh? Best mate is from Wakey, now living in Woodlesford. Once got off with a bird from Normanton in "Rooftops" Wakey, years ago and my buddy was a sponsor of the Normy Knights rugby team for a while. Good place, just wrong side of t'Pennines!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mav617
                          Hey Duffbeer - your tinned fruit medley inspired me, hoping to replicate your success there buddy. Normanton eh? Best mate is from Wakey, now living in Woodlesford. Once got off with a bird from Normanton in "Rooftops" Wakey, years ago and my buddy was a sponsor of the Normy Knights rugby team for a while. Good place, just wrong side of t'Pennines!!

Lmaoo. nawt wrong with Normy, my lad played ffor Normy knights (rugby) for anyone else. Welcome aboard, hey and some good totty in normy,lol. T he tinned fruit concoction is good easy to drink very young, unfortunatly none has ever matured to give me any other verdict,LOL .
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Drinking 'em young sounds good to me DB!

Comment

• On the go!

I finally kicked off my new hobby with a batch of the ubiquitous Turbo Cider. 5 litres of apple juice from Morrisons, I kicked off with 3.5 litres in the FV. After twelve hours there wasn't too much foaming going on so threw in 1/2lb of honey which i'd dissolved in 1/4 litre of warm water and now its frothing nicely. My hydrometer hasn't turned up (bl**dy Ebay) so haven't got a starting SG yet but could wait no longer!! Will take an SG as soon as it arrives.

Comment

• 24 hours after it went into Primary it had stopped foaming but still lots of little bubles forming so transferred to D/J under airlock, SG reading 1.050 and it's now bubbling through the airlock like mad....

Comment

Working...
                                X