No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some, but i wonder if it's enough - and I'm too worried to take the lid off (it's a bucket type job) and check in case it re-decorates my dining room! It's goign great guns, never realised how much fun it could be watching it push through the airlock with that top sounding 'glub' noise. Pushing through almost constantly - think it'll be OK David? It had stopped in the primary but obviously it's woken up now!

Comment

• Originally posted by mav617
      Some, but i wonder if it's enough - and I'm too worried to take the lid off (it's a bucket type job) and check in case it re-decorates my dining room! It's goign great guns, never realised how much fun it could be watching it push through the airlock with that top sounding 'glub' noise. Pushing through almost constantly - think it'll be OK David? It had stopped in the primary but obviously it's woken up now!
      Oh dear not another addicted bloop watcher, unfortunately there's no cure for this, but there are people who can help control it, visit www.bloopaddiction@winefreaks.com
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Well the Turbo Cider has settled down, is reading SG of 1.000 but is very cloudy. Tastes good but looks nasty - can I add Pectolase to help clear it or is it too late for that now?

Comment

• What Fun!

Hi Everybody,

Ive been studying this forum for a few weeks now and ive taken the plunge and made some TC.What can i say,what great fun and wow what results!.

I used some of the recipes featured here and am very pleased with the results so far.Ive used Tesco Value,Tesco Apple and Raspberry,Tesco Apple and Elderflower and Sainsbury's Basic.Very pleased with all the results so far although im only using DJ's at the moment so each batch doesnt last very long

Started a batch of Waitrose Apple and Ginger with some added honey 3 days ago and its blipping away very happily (very satisfying noise that blippage!)

Can i just say thanks to all that have contributed to this thread so far as its given me,a beginner,the courage to get into this home brewing lark and im hooked

Thank again and regards to all

Paul

Comment

• Welcome Paul, nice to see you've taken the plunge, the problem is now there's no turning back,lol. Enjoy the hobby as we all do!
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• great stuff.

Welcome to the forum, any questions, feel free to ask, we will do our best to help

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• turbo cider wife ,mother ,secret lover thats another one pulled into the homebrewing game ,welcome
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hi and welcome Paul, hope you get as much fun as I do from our hobby.

BTW I do like 'blippage' - lovely word!
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Thankyou for your warm welcome very pleased i found you although my livers taking it badly

a couple of quick questions please

ive transferred the finished TC into clean DJ's and and then storing with an airtight lock on the top.Do i fill these to the brim and does allowing air in have an adverse affect on the finished TC? also am i better off storing in 2L PET bottles?

plus whats the rough shelf life of the finished product and does it improve with age?

many thanks in anticipation

paul

Comment

• For longer term storage there should only be a small airspace at the top of your DJ, allowing air in will oxidise it, and render it undrinkable over time.

Storage in Pet bottles would free up your DJ's for the next batch, and you could also prime them with some sugar to give it some fizz.

Not sure about long term storage, I dont think anyone has stored it for a long time
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I think the alcohol content of turbo cider is too low for long term maturing, I would guess at 6 months.
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• thanks for the replies,very useful.managed to pick up some 2L PETs earlier and have siphoned off into these allowing for a little expansion of course

just sat down and got through 2L of the Apple and Elderflower with my official taster and general soaker up of all things alcoholic,my 76year old dad.He's now snoring away happily and said its a drop of good gear so thats ok by me just got to get him home now,doh!

thanks again

paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer
                            I think the alcohol content of turbo cider is too low for long term maturing, I would guess at 6 months.
                            Too low?????

I stopped making it as it was causing all those little brain cells to die off, as witnessed by the mother of all headaches suffered the next day.

PET bottles are certainly the way to go, Paul, especially if you prime for fizz. What I did was fill, prime and then squeeze the bottle a tad, allowing for just that bit more expansion, also getting rid of most of the airspace.
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• My batch started 10 days ago has finished - at SG of .999. Has a nice flavour, you can taste the honey just in the background. Not bad for a first try, even if it is one of the easiest ones!!

Comment

• I started some turbo cider yesterday...

How do I know when it's finished fermenting. What bubble rate or sg reading should I be looking for and roughly how many days should it take to get to this stage?

I want to make it fizzy so what should I do after fermentation? I obviously don't want to kill the yeast so should I bottle it (and bung in the sugar) straight away or do I have to do something else first?

Comment

Working...
                                X