No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey ben, when the cider is done fermenting it should be sg around .990...but i think it can sometimes stop before that. i think under 1 is a good rough range. as far as i can tell it can take from 4-10 days...you will notice that your airlock stops bubbling pretty much altogether

after fermenting you put the cider into plastic 2L bottles (dont use glass they can explode), then add a bit of sugar, squeeze the sides of the bottle in a bit to allow for expansion, and put the lid on. leave it a couple days till the squeezed in spots expand to regular size, then toss it in the fridge and keep it there

Comment

• so my first batch took about 7 days to get down to .990...its very good and strong, but a little too bitter. i was thinking rather than letting it finish then priming i could just leave it till about sg 1.0, then seal it in bottles until they expand, then chill....will this work to leave a bit of sweetness, but still have fizz?

Comment

• I have been busy in my spreading the word about this. It's been very well received, only just not the day after the tasting night

Comment

• Ok, I need some help...

I went to inspect my fermenting stuff this morning and noticed that no bubbles (well, not many) were coming out of my turbo cider. (It was quite slow yesterday). I took an sg and it was just below 1.00000. That doesn't sound wrong for the no bubbles but what I'm confused about is that I only started it on 30/07/07.

I used bread yeast (yes, yes I know but I did) and I didnt see any vigorous bubbling but could it really be done already?

If it is done will leaving it a couple of days as it is hurt? I need to find some empty coke bottles to bottle it with (and then prime with sugar).

What should I do?

Comment

• Does it take long to clear in the bottle?

I've got it all bottled up in 330ml bottles now (simpsons lemonade 5 for a quid at asda) and I bunged in a teaspoon of sugar in each one.

I'm supposed to leave it in the warm for a while and then fridge it?

Comment

• Does it matter if it's clear or can you drink it cloudy? (well I know you can drink it cloudy but is it nice?)

Comment

• chilli

could i put chillies into tc, had them in vodka ?

Comment

• Originally posted by erb...
                  could i put chillies into tc, had them in vodka ?
                  You can stick anything in. Whether it tastes nice or not is the question...

Comment

• hello, am new here, me and my brother have just started making turbo cider....

my first batch i used allinson active yeast which you have to activate to use-

that batch of cider smelt like egg, i think i added too much yeast...

the second batch i used 1 tsp of bread yeast (was all i could find at the time) and again it smelt like egg so dad drunk that batch

i am now on my 3rd batch using youngs cider yeast which advised 1gram of yeast per gallon of cider... at the moment it is smelling a lot more like cider than egg this time and i can't wait until it finishes fermenting to properly try it!

Comment

• Hi and welcome aboard

don't concern yourself too much with how it smells during fermentation, the smells subside after a while.

I would recommend a move away from bread yeast though, it isn't as suitable as it leaves very fluffy lees which makes it hard to rack, and it isn't as efficient as the brewing yeasts.

hope this helps
                      regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• yeah, my 3rd batch that has been fermenting for a week now using 1gram of cider yeast is looking smelling a lot better, the bubbles in the airlock have stopped now and there are a few bubbles still coming up through the alcohol.

is it worth leaving it to clear or shall i bottle it up as soon as it has stoppped bubbling?

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956
                          I would recommend a move away from bread yeast though, it isn't as suitable as it leaves very fluffy lees which makes it hard to rack, and it isn't as efficient as the brewing yeasts.
                          Hm, I find that compared to wine, my cider lees is very well behaved and sits in the bottom like a rock when I rack/bottle. And after it's carbonated, the yeasty gunk in the bottles just sits on the bottom of the bottle and doesn't even get disturbed when I pour. Maybe Tesco makes good bread yeast...

Comment

• drank my turbo cider the day before yesterday, i made 15 litres.
                            apple juice, pruree raspberrys,honey and sugar.

WOW

like apple vodka ssoooooooooooooooooo strong...

Comment

• Excellent ...erb so whats next on the list
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• fancy some sort of natural mead or beer any ideas ?

i always have the fast brew 40 pints on the go.....well 80..............40 beer n 40 lager lol

Comment

Working...
                                X