Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do "they" mean ?

Having read through the thread, I see references to "fresh cider".

Whats that mean ?

Cider, as I understand it, is basically fermented apple juice ?

So why might some cider be "fresh" and not others ?

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• John my brief suggestion might be that "fresh" maybe involves fresh pressed crab, eaters or cooking apple juice, as against supermarket juices... just a thought I could be wrong...
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke
        guessing like hell here but I'd think that if you know how much sugar/honey in it will make dry then you can increase the honey/sugar so that the yeast can't process that amount.

I've also read lots of "wisdoms" about sweet wines etc, and it seems that a safe way is to make it dry and then "back sweeten" (apparently it's easier to sweeten dry, that to dry sweet - if that makes sense).

I've also read that to "back sweeten" you can use lactose, as it won't start refermenting like other sugars are prone to do.

Like I say, I'm guessing like hell, as I'm also researching my first batch of turbo cider (probably from supermarket juice, then add some lemon juice or similar to make it more tart - similar to cider apples). My problem is that this thread is so long and involved with the different ideas and suggestions, I can't make my mind up what yeast to use, or whether to use honey and make it a "turbo cyser", because I want it reasonably quickly.

I did think about making tiny batches in milk bottles, just to get some idea how quickly it can be done i.e. one with bread yeast, another couple with different wine yeasts, and then maybe the same again, but using honey to sweeten.

Not sure!

regards

fatbloke
        I have tried a few Tc for me honey didnt work also starting to think flat is better once it clears its fine by me but have tried to sweeten using 1/2 ltre of apple juice to gal of Tc and that was quite good as well
        http://pressboost.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer
          John my brief suggestion might be that "fresh" maybe involves fresh pressed crab, eaters or cooking apple juice, as against supermarket juices... just a thought I could be wrong...
          Oh well, I noticed that someone used the "value" apple juice from Tesco (local supermarket), so I've invested in 9 litres this evening.

Not too worried about which yeast I'll use, as there was a nice little parcel waiting for me when I got in - a selection of the elusive (in the UK) redstar yeasts that I ordered from Homebrew Heaven over in Washington (State, not Tyne and Wear ). Most annoying thing is that nobody seems to stock it here in the UK, yet it's made in bloody Croatia. Closer to me that New York! Unbelievable.

Gonna do one gallon of just juice/yeast and another of juice/yeast with a lb of honey.

I do hope it's as quick as some suggest, I'm itching to find out. 'Cos it'd be damned funny if it works well, because at less than 50p (about 1$ currently I think) per litre for the juice, with the yeast it's gonna work out less £4 per gallon. Ho ho!

regards

John the fatbloke!

p.s. erm, does the yeast need nutrient ?
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• What the hell!

My partner Clare was out this evening doing her exercise/diet class, so I just though "what the hell" and sterilised a couple of DJ's etc.

So I now have a 3 litre mix of the cheapo apple juice and 71B-1122, and another one with the AJ, 71B' and 1 lb of tesco cheapo honey.

Now it's just a case of seeing whether it's gonna ferment or not! Though it did occur to me, that if it does start bubbling, whether it would actually need some nutrient or not? Cos I can always add that with the 4th litre at "topping off" time.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions ?

regards

fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• I think i would probably be inclined to add nutrient at the start, but then I'm obsessive about it at the minute

the trials and tribulations of a geek eh?

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Yep quite sure a little nutrient here will be benefitial, even added at the top up stage.
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Others might disagree but i dont bother all i use is apple juice and yeast infact i dont always bother with yeast .
                  i rack after about 6 days then when i bottle the cider if i have some apple juice i use the sediment as my yeast starter.
                  so first sediment goes in bin second is used as a starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowdog
                    Others might disagree but i dont bother all i use is apple juice and yeast infact i dont always bother with yeast .
                    i rack after about 6 days then when i bottle the cider if i have some apple juice i use the sediment as my yeast starter.
                    so first sediment goes in bin second is used as a starter.
                    Cool Idea SD, but what happens if one of your brews is contaminated without you knowing, that means every brew afterwards is also contaminated.
                    For the price of a pkt of yeast or even GP yeast you could be spoiling every batch you make, some problems may take weeks or even months to show.
                    Now you could run a yeast starter on the same idea without the chance of carrying contamination to the next batch.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cool Idea SD, but what happens if one of your brews is contaminated without you knowing, that means every brew afterwards is also contaminated.
                      For the price of a pkt of yeast or even GP yeast you could be spoiling every batch you make, some problems may take weeks or even months to show.
                      Now you could run a yeast starter on the same idea without the chance of carrying contamination to the next batch.
                      See what your saying but TC dont last weeks.
                      I have considerd a yeast starter just not got round to it yet.

Comment

• fatblokes TC "latest" report.

Well I got home from work and came straight to the "office" to see how it was doing.

Somewhat bizarrely, the mix with honey in it, is "bubbling away like a good'un"., but theres no froth/foam, whereas, the straight AJ/yeast mix has a good head of froth/foam, but isn't bubbling, just a modicum of pressure showing in the airlock.

So with the nutrient comments in mind, I think I'll wait until, maybe Sunday evening (we're intending to go to this event during the day i.e. hoping for 2 or 3 tree's for the garden - yum yum!) before I add the nutrient and top up. I've got to strain the pulp from my "canned strawberry" anyway so it'd be the ideal time.

Then I can take it from there! I'll report back then.

TVM for the advice all. Mucho appreciado (he said in his best "Spanglish" ).

regards

fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• I've got a brew of this turbo cider on the go now as well. I got 18 litres of 100% apple juice from Aldi for 8.60 euros and i've used champagne yeast. The sg from the juice was 1.052, so never added any sugar, should get around 6.8% alcohol.I can't wait
                          Be luckysigpic

Comment

• Excellent VD it seems your hooked like us all, enjoy !!
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Excellent VD it seems your hooked like us all, enjoy !!
                              Sure am

cheers
                              Be luckysigpic

Comment

• Just started a batch tonight. and then sat down and made a label for it when it is ready to bottle.
                                Just can't figure out how to post them. when I figure it out I will post them

Comment

Working...
                                X