No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not 100% sure but hope this thread helps..http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1308
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• turbo cider

I have 1 gallon of this going now. I want to do 5 gallons and kick it up a notch. I picked up a pack of Alcotec 48 pure turbo super yeast. Now for the question.The package weight 4.9 oz / 141 grams, do I put the whole pack in my primary. It says the you can get 14% in 48 hours and 20% in 5 days. I am trying to get around the 20% mark. I know that I will what to add sugar to get to this. Please help this newby

Comment

• Originally posted by paulwhite1964
        I have 1 gallon of this going now. I want to do 5 gallons and kick it up a notch. I picked up a pack of Alcotec 48 pure turbo super yeast. Now for the question.The package weight 4.9 oz / 141 grams, do I put the whole pack in my primary. It says the you can get 14% in 48 hours and 20% in 5 days. I am trying to get around the 20% mark. I know that I will what to add sugar to get to this. Please help this newby
        Bloody hell, you really are trying to "out turbo" turbo cider

If you read the instructions on the Alcotec package, you should note that it's actually aimed at converting X amount of sugar or dextrose in the times suggested. A bit like the similar "still spirits" products.

I have absolutely no idea whether it's gonna work or not, but I'd guess that you'd have to work out the OG of the appropriate amount of water and either pure sugar or dextrose/glucose, and then add the corresponding amount of sugar to the apple juice to get to the same OG as the sugar/water mix.

Whether you'd have any apple flavour left is anyones guess.

I'd think that thats the only way you're likely to hit the 20% that you're aiming for.

Another problem with such high alcohol mixes is that if you did achieve the 20% abv, then it probably isn't gonna taste too good. Like lots of meads, made with champagne type yeasts, when it's straight off the yeast i.e. first racking, it can often taste like mouthwash. It's one of the reasons that it has to be aged for at least 12 months +

It might be more practical to go for the cheapo apple juice and "general purpose" wine yeast - unless you're gonna start adding extra sugar etc, which means that you'd end up with something more like apple wine than cider, as the whole point of cider is that it's just AJ/yeast.

'Sup to you!

regards

fatbloke
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by paulwhite1964 View Post
          I am trying to get around the 20% mark
          Paul

Would you put half a pint of vodka in a glass then top it up to the pint with apple juice, neck it then do the same again? Cider is meant to be consumed in pint/half pint quantities so keeping the abv below 8% would be handy. At 20%, you are talking about an apple Schnapps type drink. If it is cider that you want then do as the fat bloke says.

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          It might be more practical to go for the cheapo apple juice and "general purpose" wine yeast - unless you're gonna start adding extra sugar etc, which means that you'd end up with something more like apple wine than cider, as the whole point of cider is that it's just AJ/yeast.
          Spot on!
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Yea, start it out about SG 1.100, then feed a cup of sugar syrup or juice concentrate each time the SG falls to 1.050 or less. Stir it in good. Eventually, the yeast will succomb to alcohol poisoning, but you would either want to keep at least that amount of alcohol in solution without dilution, or be sure and sulphite and sorbate well, before sweetening. Fortifying with brandy is another option.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Originally posted by paulwhite1964 View Post
              I picked up a pack of Alcotec 48 pure turbo super yeast.
              I don't think this will work very well for producing a wine, it is yeast designed specifically for producing high alcohol "spirit" type wash, that is destined for Stills, as fatbloke says.

For a wine or indeed a cider, you want a little more complexity and mouthfeel that will be generated by a better quality yeast, I suspect (could be wrong) that this yeast will give you none of that.

hope this helps
              regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I think when we start making our own wine etc, we are all overcome with being able to produce alcoholic drinks and try to produce the highest ABV possible - I know I did - but after a while you learn that that's not what it's all about. The stuff tastes 'hot', you get a terrible headache the next day, and altogether, if you're honest, you don't really enjoy the stuff. After a while you learn the subtleties and settle for less alcohol and more flavour.

IMHO anyway.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Very good point. I wholeheartedly concur. I was only posting a method to the madness, in answer to the post before. I think so anyway......

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• I agree with all here I have a gallon of 18% stuff made from 48hr turbo yeast, which was made last year, my intentions were to make alcopops, but the after taste of this stuff is so pungent and vile it overtakes anything added. Not a good choice IMO.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      I agree with all here I have a gallon of 18% stuff made from 48hr turbo yeast, which was made last year, my intentions were to make alcopops, but the after taste of this stuff is so pungent and vile it overtakes anything added. Not a good choice IMO.
                      You need to add activated carbon to the wash, to remove the pungent flavour, then use the Alcotech clear.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Biggles View Post
                        You need to add activated carbon to the wash, to remove the pungent flavour, then use the Alcotech clear.
                        Hmmm cheers Biggles, didn't know that, learning all the time
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
                          I've got a brew of this turbo cider on the go now as well. I got 18 litres of 100% apple juice from Aldi for 8.60 euros and i've used champagne yeast. The sg from the juice was 1.052, so never added any sugar, should get around 6.8% alcohol.I can't wait
                          s.g. is now at 1.002, so it's near finnished. my questions are do i need to add sorbate + campden so that i can sweeten it when its fermented out?
                          and once its fermented out the yeast is still there, theres just no suger left. is it good to drink with all that yeast still kicking around?

cheers
                          Be luckysigpic

Comment

• Keep topped up while it finishes. The SG will remain steady for 2 or more days when it is done. Should be under 1.000. Then you can rack off lees and add sulphite and sorbate. Keep topped up then and leave to clear somewhere cool and dark.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                              Keep topped up while it finishes. The SG will remain steady for 2 or more days when it is done. Should be under 1.000. Then you can rack off lees and add sulphite and sorbate. Keep topped up then and leave to clear somewhere cool and dark.

I should have mentioned that its in a bucket. Is it possible to rack it into bottles (coca-cola)?
                              Be luckysigpic

Comment

• What is your aim for this VD are you looking for a still cider or to carbonate ?
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X