Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
    What is your aim for this VD are you looking for a still cider or to carbonate ?
    whatever I can drink first
    Be luckysigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
      I should have mentioned that its in a bucket. Is it possible to rack it into bottles (coca-cola)?
      What? traditional glass ones or plastic ones ?

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
      whatever I can drink first
      He he! Good answer valleydaz. What the hell, if you can cap the bottles to contain the possible carbonation pressures, I'd set it up for carbonation/sparkling, but then if I "had" to drink some, I'd just expect it to taste just that little bit sweeter, then as the other bottles mature/carbonate, that sweetness should go and be replaced with more bubbles.

Oh and if you "stabilised" too much, I'd guess that there wouldn't be any residual yeast cells to turn the priming sugar into bubbles, so you might think about that some!

regards

fatbloke
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Cheers fatbloke, gave me a bit to think about there! and bottles are plastic 1.5 litre jobs
        Be luckysigpic

Comment

• well I'm happy now, because I got a pack of beer bottles, caps and a capper this afternoon.

Which goes with the dextrose that came from Hamstead Brewing Centre this morning.

So I'm gonna bottle my first gallon tomorrow. I'm just hoping that it tastes as good as I'm led to believe from the reports in this thread.

regards

John the fatbloke
          Attached Files
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Can anyone tell me if when im ready to top up this turbo cider i could top it up with pear juice instead. also could i had sugar at the end to sweeten it if it needs any.

Comment

• if it isnt stabilised and you top it up with fermentable sugars it will start fermenting again.

two ways to proceed, if it isnt stabilised, and you want it sweeter....top up with non fermentable sugar, or add sugar once the bottle is opened and poured (yes really)
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• ok thats for that, another quick question,,,ive took a SG reading and its showing at the start,,,SG 1,050 i think thats how you read it. can you tell me if this is the correct reading ive done , what do,s it mean? as in alcohol reading,,,also in need of sugar or not. the hydrometer is the only part of wine making i just cant understand.

Comment

• Have you read this?

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• so you are looking at a final alcohol content of between 6.7 and 8% alcohol by volume
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• ok thanxs , i dont know how you get that but thanx anyway. i read that last thread you sent me and still dont rearly know how to read it. do you think then ,, im going tob need to sweeten it in any way. i will also prime it at the end anyway.

Comment

• if you are priming for "fizz" then you will have to sweeten with non fermentable sugar or the sugars will be fermented out, get some wine sweetener from your home brew shop, or use sweetex.

which bit is it ypou find confusing?

its important to me that the tutorials work for the members, so if they are difficult to understand, they need tweaking, please read through it and let me know which bits arent clear

cheers
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-11-2007, 10:47 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• wow thats great i bought some wine sweetener today. i will start that apple and white grape wine tomorrow. could i use wine sweetener in that too.

Comment

• yes you can, and we will run throuh that as we finish the wine in the tutorial
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• the reading the scale part of the hydrometer i dont get it go,s from 990 to 1000 then 10, 20, so on then down to 120. them numbers to me dont correspond to what the kits say they are supposed to be. why do they put it like 1,080 when it just 80 on the scale

Comment

• i think it may depend on what type of hydrometer you have....will post some extra pics to try to explain better

cheers dude
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X