Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello
    Is it possible to make up the turbo cider in a bucket covered with a cloth for example?
    Can anyone tell me if its possible to use different juices Cranberry, pineapple etc using the turbo cider method?
    Also once fermentation ceased (I want it still) can I put the tc into pop bottles? Do I fill them right up or leave a wee gap?
    Looking forward to your help cheers dokleaf
    P.s on a different note made a batch of wine #1 yesterday fingers crossed

Comment

• Pop bottles are ok, leave about a 1/2 inch gap

wine no1 will give you a quality beverage....in around 4 weeks, and it wont dissapoint

I have made the turbo cider a few times now, and have been dissapointed with the results every time...Is it just me?

you can use the so called turbo method with other juices, but to be honest they make better wine
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-02-2008, 07:54 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Thank you for such a quick response
        The scrumpy I usually drink is as rough as old boots proper spit and sawdust so we'll see how the turbo cider compares.
        I followed the recipe for wine #1 to the letter and if looks half as good as in the thread I'll be well pleased.

Comment

• turbo cider day 5

Hello
          My gallon batch of turbo cider is bubbling at the rate of 1 bubble every 3seconds or so and looks like undiluted orange squash, is this normal/ok?
          I followed the recipe and added about 1 cup of sugar.
          My other batch I made and added a small Tesco runny Honey this as had a slower ferment from the outset but continues to bubble away, does it take longer for the batch with honey to finish.
          Also will the cider eventually clear? My local rough cider is always cloudy, does the trick and tastes great though.
          Cheers looking forward to staggering about on some cider I made myself!

Comment

• It will clear, don't worry

But can I ask why you added the extra cup of sugar?

What I can tell you is that extra alcohol (if that was why you added the sugar) will not make this a better drink, as this brew simply doesnt have enough substance to take the extra alcohol produced.

try running another batch alongside it without the extra sugar added and compare the two

what was the starting SG?
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-02-2008, 08:10 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello
              In response I have just started another couple of batches and the starting SG was 1.044 (no added sugar) just Apple juice, and the other was 4 litres Apple juice and 1 litre white grape juice (ran out of Apple) and the starting SG was 1.050.
              Now I've got and know how to use a hydrometer I wont be stabbing in the dark.
              Thank you for the advice.
              Cheers

Comment

• thats what we are here for
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello
                  My last batch of turbo cider has after 5 days reached a gravity of 1.006 for the straight apple juice and 1.010 for the batch with the grape juice in. Fermentation seems to have stopped it tastes good if a little "thin" in comparison to my previous batches to which I added some extra sugar and honey.
                  All in all I'm pleased with the results cheap, easy, and tasty.
                  Cheers

Comment

• For all the turbo lovers out there, Asda are doing a deal on Don Simon 100% pure squeezed apple juice (not from concentrate) 3 one litre bottles for £2.00 (normally £1.10 each) i obviously had to buy 4 bottles, so all in all it was £3.10 for 4 litres of pure spanish apple juice.

I actually bought 2 x apple and 2 x grape apple and raspberry (70% red grape, 20% apple, 10% raspberry)

So, my second turbo will be an apple grape and raspberry cider, should be interesting!

My first turbo isn't even ready yet and im hooked allready!

Comment

• not to burst anyones bubble, for turbo cider seems to make a lot of people happy....

I just think its poor quality stuff

using what you have to make a wine, will result in a pretty decent wine, but it wont make good cider

just my two pennerth (as always)

no offence intended, and I hope none taken
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-03-2008, 10:12 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I suppose the combination of apple/red grape would get me something similar to a rose wine? hmm, got me thinking now!

Comment

• yes it should give you a nice rose....you may want to do it as a wine No2..(stabilised and back sweetened)
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I agree with Bob on the old Turbo Cider I'm afraid

wine #1 is a much better option in my opinion with better results from the same raw materials

You might also want to think about branching out into beer for a lower gravity quaffing potion

Comment

• Definately want to try a beer/lager after i do the wine number 1! will need to look at the beer tutorials section next

Can i call upon the turbo experts again, my first gallon of cider looks like its nearing completion (fizzing dying out, airlock bubbling alot weaker) so my question is about the next stage.

Should i rack it first and put it back under airlock until it clears? or should i bottle it and let it clear in the bottle? im guessing racking will be the best option? if so, is it just a case of waiting for it to clear after that?

If it tastes as good as the gas escaping the airlock smells, it should be half decent!

Thanks
                              Last edited by 5thElement; 27-03-2008, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• What you do next depends on the cider you want ? still or sparkling ? for still /dry simply let it ferment to dryness, leave to clear and drink. For a still sweet then you must stabalise with sulphite and sorbate before sweetening (unless you use artifitial sweetener).
                                For a carbonated / sparkling cider then add 1 tsp per pint of sugar to a pressure resistant bottle seal and let secondary fermentation take place.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X