No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottled my first batch of turbo cider today. Put half of it in PET bottles with 1 tsp sugar per litre. Put the other half in the fridge. Had a taste, but no very nice. Dry with a metallic acidy taste.... not good It's drinkable with some apple juice added.

I'm guessing that its because the airlock wasn't working properly. It was bubbling fine at the start, but after about 6 days I noticed it had stopped. When I took the lid off it was still fermenting so used some plasticine to make sure the seal was airtight. It started bubbling again straight away. The other possibility is that I used a 20L plastic jerrycan as a fermenter. Because of the handle there is a lot of air at the top even when its full. Could this be part of the problem? Also, am I wasting my time bottling it? Is it likely to get any better or just get worse?

Comment

• It tastes bad because it's turbo cider. There are a LOT better recipes on this forum than that one. Try a Wine Number 1, for example.
      Steve

Comment

• Thanks Steve. I have some wine no.1 on the go at the moment. The problem I have is that the I'm missing most of the essential ingredients and equipment. I put some of the cider in a 2.25L coke bottle to ferment at the same time as the jerrycan which came out fine, so there must be something causing it to taste off. Don't get me wrong, my expectations with the turbo cider aren' very high.

Comment

• Is it me or has this been bottled after almost 3 years ??
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Oops, didn't notice the date. Not a very popular recipe then

Comment

• so was it really almost 3 years before you bottled it then?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I wouldn't have thought so CR, as jayv is a fairly new member. LOL

I'm wondering what the jerry can last held? Perhaps it was something that has tainted the cider.

I know that Turbo Cider isn't all that wonderful, but it depends what you want from it. If it's a quickly made, low alcoholic, refreshing drink then I think the recipe works just fine.

At least I've been making it for years and had no complaints from anyone as yet.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• LOL and they say Red wine is good for you!! It certainly addles your calendars!

All will become clear soon.

Comment

• Thought that might be it!!!
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Defo going to make this tomorrow ....it's taken me hrs to read this thread through all 47 pages but boy was it educational. For a newbie like me very help full. I started homebrew lager kits at xmas which i'm now kegging.....

just joined this site last week got 2x 1 gal no.1 wines on the go & by tomorrow night and help from this forum I'll have a Turbo Cider added to my CV.....yee haa can't wait!
                      .I'm going to make a new wine & call it responsibly, so other drinks companys advertise for me .. "Drink Responsibly"

Comment

• ive made a few of these ciders now, really good!
                        Last edited by Avtovaz; 22-04-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by whataboy View Post
                          Defo going to make this tomorrow ....it's taken me hrs to read this thread through all 47 pages but boy was it educational. For a newbie like me very help full. I started homebrew lager kits at xmas which i'm now kegging.....

just joined this site last week got 2x 1 gal no.1 wines on the go & by tomorrow night and help from this forum I'll have a Turbo Cider added to my CV.....yee haa can't wait!

You'll be ready for Grapes in september then!!

Comment

• time

how long did it take to be able to drink

Comment

• I start drinking mine after its been bottled for a couple of weeks, just when it should be sparkling.

Comment

• Hello, Thanx & a Question

Hello People

Just tripped over this forum in a search for applebrew answers

Registration real smooth and easy - Thanx Bob & All

Being blessed with a treeload of apples this year - like most of Yorkshire i reckon - i thought i'd have a go at making some 'cider' or apple-press (or as my Russian/American neighbours suggested Kvas/AppleJack). After a bit of digging through recipebooks and trawling the memorybanks we decided to try to create Apple & Ginger Brew. So i successfully 'grew' a ginger-beer plant - much nonsense about this online and that's a whole other story.

A quick dig thru the garage provided almost all we needed kit-wise (i never throw ought out) and the neighbours online wallet supplied the rest and soooo ... after much scrubbing & sterilising, picking & washing, prepping & steeping, mashing and straining we ended up with a 48pt jerrycan 40pt's full of 70/30 apple/water.

Into this i added 2 kilo demarara sugar (syruped in 3/4 pt water) and the GBP liquor. This has been brewing in the garage airlocked & lambswool blanket wrapped (cold last night up here wasn't it?) bubbling away at 6 burps per minute for two days now.

My plan was .. To allow another two or three days to pass and then bottle-off about a third (assuming it will be nice drinkable Apple & Ginger Pop - Or Kvas as the Russians would have it) before adding a whitesugar top-up & 5g Youngs Cider Yeast + Harris Filters Pectic Enzyme hoping to eventually arrive at a palatably potent Apple & Ginger ?? ..

However, i read online that the yeast may not be tolerant of an already (lets hope so!!) alcoholic liquid and may fail to activate completely, if at all?

Awwwww!

Any advice, experienced anecdote or 'whoa don't do that' comments greatfully received by this wordy newbie!

Meanwhilst i'm off for a fag and to count my baby's burps! ..

Comment

Working...
                                X