X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Clearing

Hi Bob/Mamgiowl,

Thanks for the replies.

To you Bob: do I leave the turbo cider in the (primary) fermenting demijohn to clear or do I syphon it off/move it somewhere cold for that to happen?

Mamgiowl: thanks for the tip on using a pressure barrel. I've only got one P-barrel at the moment and that's full of my Geordie Bitter brew, so I'll have to wait a while before I can stump up the cash for another p-barrel. That said, your point has been noted, and I'll try it your way just as soon as I get another p-barrel! Thanks!

No one has yet commented on whether or not I should be using a Campden tablet at any point during a turbo cider brew? Please do so with some specifity: when do I use it, if I do?

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

I've never used campden tablets in the turbo cider and had no problems, and I would always rack it to a new vessel to clear.

I like it without carbonation too.

Quick note on the turbo
      I used Lalvin EC 1118 yeast on the last batch and it tastes VERY yeastie afterwards, mind you i drank it almost straight away too!

anyone else had this?
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Turbo Cider & Ginger!

Hi All,

Has anyone tried chucking some ginger in a Turbo Cider brew? If so, how much ginger would one put in?

FYI I bought a root of ginger the other day, but never having even cooked with it, am really at a complete loss as to how to brew with it!!

If anyone has used fresh ginger in any brew at all, please post some guidelines as to how to prepare the ginger, and how much of it to use.

All I can think to do with it is to wash it thoroughly, then to slice it and say, chuck in two or three 1/2 centimeter thick slices????

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

Originally posted by brewnut
          Hi All,

Has anyone tried chucking some ginger in a Turbo Cider brew? If so, how much ginger would one put in?

FYI I bought a root of ginger the other day, but never having even cooked with it, am really at a complete loss as to how to brew with it!!

If anyone has used fresh ginger in any brew at all, please post some guidelines as to how to prepare the ginger, and how much of it to use.

All I can think to do with it is to wash it thoroughly, then to slice it and say, chuck in two or three 1/2 centimeter thick slices????

TIA,

Brewnut
          What is it with you an lobbing any old stuff from the kitchen into your brew? Does your wife know you like putting things in cider?
          Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Comment

I followed Brewnut here from another forum we both visit. I'd like some clarification on the turbo cider. I tried reading all 13+ pages, but...

This is a 1 gallon recipie.

I see some use sugar, some use none, some use variations of honey.

Has anyone written down what produces what?

For eaxmple, brewnut, you said 1 cup gives you about 5.5%, but you also took it up to 7 and 10%. What was your difference, and how much did it change fermentation time?

I also would like to know how much honey was used for a 1 gallon batch, if anyone knows. I see it increased fermentation as well...

Finally, I saw someone post that 71B-1122 is a bad yeast to use as it produced a yeasty flavor. Is this proven (darn it I have that yeast on hand) or was it just a bad batch!

Thanks,
            Frank

Comment

Welcome Grymhammer

Hi Grymhammer,

Not using any sugar (except that in the apple juice) gets about 5.5% ABV; this is from the original recipe & SG therefrom (SG 1.042?).

My first try, I added a cup of sugar, and got it to around 7.2% ABV. Either you read my post to the other forum wrong or I had it down wrong there, sorry! ... I repeat adding a cup of sugar gets to about 7.2% ABV or higher.

I have increased the ABV in further brews simply by adding more sugar at the start.... I have not yet reached the tolerance of my yeast and have got one brew out at 8.6 and the next (with even more sugar added) at 10% ABV.

I have just started a cinnamon & ginger turbo cider by adding in a crushed/broken up cinnamon stick and also 8 small squares of fresh ginger; squares as I took off the rind/skin of the ginger, before throwing it in. I added two full cups of sugar + two tsp yeast nutrient .... and hope I might find the yeast tolerance with this set-up; perhaps 12 - 14% ABV, though who currently knows!!?!

As to fermentation time; all mine seem to take about 3 - 4 days; no matter how much sugar I add. My temp is quite good though; stable 22-24 C. I haven't got as far as a secondary fermentation so can't comment .... I've just started three litres in secondary tonight, but fear I'll have drunk them, as usual, before they've had the time to carbonate!

Brewnut

Comment

To Kmoorman

naw man - it's just if you're gonna brew, you're gonna brew ....

Recipes are for guidance only!!

Oh - and as for wifey wifey; I leave that to those that can stand nagging!

Brewnut

Comment

AH, excellent and thanks! As my first round goes, I appreciate the "guideance". Next round, look out!

I'll be making this in 2 days, I ordered two new 1.5 gallon brew containers...especially for this!

My other set is full of mead!

Comment

Originally posted by brewnut
                    naw man - it's just if you're gonna brew, you're gonna brew ....

Recipes are for guidance only!!

Oh - and as for wifey wifey; I leave that to those that can stand nagging!

Brewnut
                    Agreed

Comment

• Carbonation Question - I'm confused!

Hi Board,

Could someone with a little experience and knowledge tell me how I should be treating my turbo cider(s) to get different results: specifically I'm a little lost as to when to bottle/add sugar (prime?!) the good stuff if I want a secondary ferment in the bottle to carbonate the turbo cider! ...

Do I do this whilst it is still 'milky' with the yeast, or do I rack and clear the cider, then bottle it and add sugar, when it is already clear?!?!?

If there are different approaches, what are the rationales behind each; their pro's/con's etc.

I've just put a 4.5 gallon turbo brew on [
                      so would appreciate comments quickly .... My primary fermenting usually only takes 3 - 4 days!

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

• I've found that it's worth bottling before it clears, but after the main ferment has died down; so if you're still getting the odd bubble, but only every now and then. I think as long as you don't heat the cider too over 35C the yeast won't ever die, but will simply go into 'hibernation', so as long as you prime your bottles with sugar and give the contents a shake to dissolve the sugar and get oxygen into the mix the 2ndry ferment should start anyway.

With turbo cider you don't have to rack the brew, simply syphon the cider out of the container into the bottles, leaving any sediment behind.

If you have a hydrometer you should bottle at or just above the 1000 mark, to leave some sugar in the mix.

Comment

• I like to syphon into another container, leaving the lees behind, then if I do happen to drag some up, its not in the bottles!
                          you can also prime the cider in this second container and then put into bottles.....easier than adding sugar to the bottles.

The yeast WILL die eventually, but only after the brew reaches 12% (ish)
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956
                            I like to syphon into another container, leaving the lees behind, then if I do happen to drag some up, its not in the bottles!
                            you can also prime the cider in this second container and then put into bottles.....easier than adding sugar to the bottles.

The yeast WILL die eventually, but only after the brew reaches 12% (ish)
                            I thought cooling yeast only put it into hibernation - I thought only heating would kill it (along with chemicals of course).

Good idea about priming the secondary though, it would get rid of the problem of putting a consistent amount of sugar in the bottles (esp if they are different sizes).

Kieron.

Comment

• Thanks - but still a little confused about carbonation!!

Hi Bob/Kmoorman/All,

Thanks for the advice so far.

Bob - when would you actually bottle the cider though? Do you do so when still 'milky' with the yeast and fermenting a little, per kmoorman's suggestion, even though you have also racked the cider once unlike his suggestion, or do you bottle once the fermentation has finished or has seemingly finished primary fermentation or additionally; only once the racked cider has also cleared?? Do you use a hydrometer at any stage, if so, what readings are you looking for and when; also 1.000 or something different?

To anyone! .... What temperatures (in celsius ideally) am I looking for during the primary fermentation, secondary fermentation &/or clearing stages. From everything to do with brewing I've read so far it seems most brews are recommended for 18 - 25 C for primary, but I've got no info on at what temperatures secondary/clearing take place, save that on my Geordie bitter, which seems to suggest a lower temperature than that for primary is better for secondary/clearing/conditioning.

An update: the cinnamon & ginger turbo cider smells devine! First fermentation has started in the 4.5 gallon of turbo, though not quite up to speed yet, it will be in no more than hours from now! A 1g turbo I racked has almost cleared (I'm making that one dry & still) ... And my first carbonation experiment continues with 3 x 1 Litre bottles bottled a couple of days ago .... which I'm keeping at 20 - 22 C for now, knowing no better! The vodka kit has cleared almost completely first time through .... need to rack that tomorrow for the first time.

My plum wine is supposed to be ready for sweetnening, preserving and bottling tomorrow, though it doesn't look clear ...

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

• Originally posted by kmoorman
                                I thought cooling yeast only put it into hibernation - I thought only heating would kill it (along with chemicals of course).

Kieron.
                                No...... Yeast is killed by higher alcohol levels.....Lalvin 71B-1122 is set to die at 14% lalvin EC-1118 is at 18%

these are the figures quoted by Lalvin themselves

there are differences depending on how ferment is conducted..for example I got the 71B-1122 up to 16.5% in my black cherry wine. (which I then fortified into Black cherry Port. using French Brandy)
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X