Fermenting bin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenting bin

Got a fementing bin with my first lager kit but the lid has no hole in it to fit an airlock to.
    Do i need to get one fitted or will it be ok.
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Cheers Biggles

Comment

You need fermenter with airlock for second part of fermentation (anaerobic) if you havent got such a thing get a grommet and airlock for this one
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-01-2008, 06:06 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

As Bob above, it is safer with an airlock, beer will ferment like wine in an open vessel, but as co2 production reduces the beer is suseptable to oxidisation. Check out the basic lager tutorial it will explain things a little clearer.
        Basic lager kit's are the easiest way to start when considering home brewed ale. Provided you stick to a few simple rules there's not much to go wrong. The following is a simple guide that should keep things pretty much fail safe including a few tips that the manufacturers don't include. Basic equipment required. Sanitising
        Last edited by Duffbeer; 14-01-2008, 12:48 PM.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Sorry for giving bad advice, maybe thats why the beer kits i did make were so bad.
          sigpic

Comment

Hehee, could be mate, oxidisation doesn't take long and it's such an awfull taste it makes the whole batch undrinkable.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I never used an airlock with kit beers. It was in a pressure barrel within a week.
              Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
                I never used an airlock with kit beers. It was in a pressure barrel within a week.
                If an airlock is not used then you must bottle or keg immidiatly when ferment has ceased or ensure the lid is snapped tight, otherwise you risk oxidisation taking place, better to be safe and fit the airlock a couple of days into fermention.
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It is perfectly possible to "get away" without using an airlock, if you get the stuff in the barrel or on bottles quickly, but understand this please everyone.....it is important that when we are giving advice to new wine and beer makers that we give them the correct advice, if this first brew of theirs goes wrong, they may leave the hobby, so the correct advice is to get the beer under airlock for the second stage of primary ferment (anaerobic) thus protecting it from spoilage.

Just because you have been getting away with it.....doesnt make it right.

not trying to be all school masterly, BUT too much guesswork by way of advice to newbies is not helpful at all, I built this site because there was a lack of good information when I started out, I want to keep the information in it good for newbies. if they want to stray from those standard procedures when they get more experienced then fair enough, but give the right advice at the start, if you are not sure the advice is 100% good, then please don't offer it, you could be doing more harm than good.

THINK ON
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-01-2008, 03:18 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help...will get myself a hole drilled in the lid and fit an airlock for safety

Comment

Safest is best, it is possible to get away without, but its bad practise when you are starting out, you don't want these precious first brews going wrong

(I'm not mean and school masterly really)
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Just an aside here.....it has been brought to my attention by the mod team (cheers guys) that I am coming across a tad "snippy" and I believe they are right, probably brought about by the back pain, but I never meant to be offensive, I'm just passionate that newbies get good advice.

no-one should be scared to post something in case I scold them, no question is too silly or too small, or indeed too big, all I ask is that you try to make sure when giving advice to new winemakers, the advice offered is sound in principle and not guesswork, or based in good winemaking principles. Guessing at the answer is also fine as long as you indicate that it is indeed a guess

respectful regards
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 15-01-2008, 04:12 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Humility...BIG IN STATURE!

Just an aside here.....it has been brought to my attention by the mod team (cheers guys) that I am coming across a tad "snippy" and I believe they are right, probably brought about by the back pain, but I never meant to be offensive, I'm just passionate that newbies get good advice.

no-one should be scared to post something in case I scold them, no question is too silly or too small, or indeed too big, all I ask is that you try to make sure when giving advice to new winemakers, the advice offered is sound in principle and not guesswork, or based in good winemaking principles. Guessing at the answer is also fine as long as you indicate that it is indeed a guess

respectful regards
                          Bob
                          I am humbled before my peers..."ogre" is eaten, truely wrong of me to call you "Ogre, Big Batch Bobby", it was said in love and admiration, we give names to Pals in America and banter much with them...a proper name would be more along with "BigDude Bobby"! No, "Sir BigDude Bobby". Big in stature and heart!!!! But please Sir BigDude Bobby, if I ever make it to UK...will you allow me to attend a meeting, even knowing I like Parsnip Wine? Among other root wines?

Comment

Originally posted by Aristaeus View Post
                            But please Sir BigDude Bobby, if I ever make it to UK...will you allow me to attend a meeting, even knowing I like Parsnip Wine? Among other root wines?
                            Too funny dude, yes we could meet, it would be much fun.........as long as I dont have to drink parsnip wine!
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

You got it Sir BigDude, I am your humble servant. at you command Sire! Tally-ho

Comment

Working...
                              X