Making the jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danpug View Post
    From what i've read the exemption exists to allow the many small producers in this country to carry on doing what they do but not making enough money to soley survive on cider making alone.
    I believe that you're almost correct about the exemption, but they probably want you to register so you don't pay "excise duty", but that probably doesn't help you to escape VAT!(I'm not sure but I believe that booze also needs to have VAT charged on it). Either way, I suspect that it's be cause it gives them an excuse to come snooping. After all, you only have to read some of the C&E documentation to know that "they" don't give a sh1t about health and hygiene - it's all about revenue protection!

I also understand that some of the small cider producers are having to do some lobbying as HMRC have done some muttering about removing the small producers cider exemption on excise duty.

You think it's bad for cider, wine, etc then you should look into distilling and then you'll realise just how massive the duty is on spirits (last time I looked it was £21.35 per 1% alcohol per 100 litres a.k.a. £5.60 per 70cl bottle @ 37.5% alcohol a.k.a. £800.62 per 100 litres @ 37.5% - now that's what I call robbery).
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thats just madness, utter greed.

Comment

Working...
      X