Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable Fermenting Vessel For Cider

*** Newbie Alert ****** Newbie Alert *****

After having had disappointing results with Turbo Cider and trying to please the wife I decided to go to our local HB shop and buy a kit cider, opted for the 5 gallon Maguum Pear Cider, I asked the lady in the HB shop if my Youngs 5 gallon wine Fermenter was suitable (like the one below)

To which I was told that it has to made in a bucket as the wine fermenter is just for wine and not suitable for beer, so I brought one from Wilkinsons but after reading the instructions it does say: "A fermenter holding 23 - 25 litres with a airlock and bung suitable for that" - does it need to be a bucket or will the wine fermenter do the same job?

The 5 gallon bucket is like the one shown below but would need a hole drilled into the lid and then a gromet and airlock fitted..........dont wont to get it wrong as this is my first attempt at making Cider / Beer.

Thanks

Originally posted by solly View Post

To which I was told that it has to made in a bucket as the wine fermenter is just for wine and not suitable for beer

If its not suitable for wine and beer... why does it say "Wine and Beer Fermenter" on the thing ??
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
      If its not suitable for wine and beer... why does it say "Wine and Beer Fermenter" on the thing ??
      Thats what I thought as well but did not want to get it wrong and mess up the cider hence the reason for the post.

Comment

Here's the skinny a fermenter is a fermenter. I know of none that will not ferment anything that is placed inside to ferment. All that is needed is enough volume and if plastic be aware that plastic takes on the flavors of what is fermented in them. IE beer and wine do not use that same fermenter not that they are product specific but beer the hops will taste your wine and wine will taste your beer no other reason.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

The lid has a hole for an air-lock but I just put a bit of gaffer tape over it.

Not had a problem with Magnums Cider, Black Rock Cider and my favourite, Finlandia Pear And Apple Cider.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
            the hops will taste your wine and wine will taste your beer no other reason.
            I took you advice rjb as the wine fermenter has only ever been used for wine and I don’t want to take the chance and transfer any hoppy flavours into the wine + the youngs 5 gallon bucket was only £7.99 and if I decide to make some more cider / beer etc it’s there ready to use.

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            The lid has a hole for an air-lock but I just put a bit of gaffer tape over it.
            I have seen people post before about not using an air lock but mainly just in the primary fermenter for wines, but after searching I found a few tutorials for beer making and none of them used an air lock but I suppose that if you want belt and braces then an air lock would be recommend as in the manufactures instructions?

Thanks for your advice

Comment

solly where did you cop one of them fermenters for £7? I'm looking to buy 2 and they're £13 each

Comment

Wilkinsons sell the Youngs 5 gallon fermenting bucket for £7.99 and I noticed that they also sell the basic 5 gallon pressure barrel (for beer) for £13.99 - our local HB shop want to charge 20 quid + for the same thing

Plus you can also add the co2 screw top adaptor as well (but cant remember the price of those)..............so thats on my list for fathers day

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post

I have seen people post before about not using an air lock but mainly just in the primary fermenter for wines, but after searching I found a few tutorials for beer making and none of them used an air lock but I suppose that if you want belt and braces then an air lock would be recommend as in the manufactures instructions?

Thanks for your advice
                  I don't think you need to use an airlock for beer or cider ferments that is from start to finish .
                  Last edited by plonky; 15-05-2009, 04:08 AM.

Comment

You need the beer protected from oxygen in the latter stages, same as wine. I always ferment under airlock near the end.

I use a bucket with a lid that has an airlock hole drilled in it, i just fit the lid loosely in the early stages of ferment, and then snap it on near the end, so as to trap a layer of CO2 over my beer.
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

the first fermenter you pictured is fine for the purpose you intend it for.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post

Hi I have just been given one of these it is old but don't think it has been used can anyone tell me the code for the plastic on the bottom of theirs the one I have says HPDE is that ok to use ?
                        I prefer glass to plastic but it seems a shame to waste it.

Comment

Its been in the 5 gallon bucket since the 14th May and I snapped the cover on tight but after a few hours the cover get lifted of by the co2 gas so I am guessing that the fermentation is going ahead nicely - the only worrying thing is that from tuts that I have seen there is normally a crust on top (and mine dont have a crust on top) but all the tuts that I have seen have been on beer and not on cider, can someone say if my cider should have a crust on top like beer or should I give it a good stir? dont want to mess it up and upset the wife as she is looking foward to this

Thanks

Comment

Is there an airlock fitted to this lid?

if not, then dont snap it tightly shut, it is the CO2 escaping that is making it pop off....just fit it loosely to begin with, the CO2 from the fermentation is atop your brew and will protect it.

the "crust" you refer to isn't present in every ferment, a lot of this depends on the yeast you used, as well as the ingredients. as long as it is "fizzing" (have a listen)...its fine.

You will need it under airlock for the final stages of ferment though.

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I was going to do a ferment with a normal fermenting bucket for a week then rack it and just leave it to age in a 5 galon pressure barrel rather than using an airlock... will this work and be safe... it has a little rubber sleave on the top lid so it should be OK , I've never used it before but I guess it'll be OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X