So close to a perfect brew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So close to a perfect brew...

I had another brew (this one won't be able to come to GF ) today. An American IPA using Amarillo and Williamette hops. Weighing in at a beefy 1062 SG and 57.5 IBU.

The volume of water at mash in and grains was really pushing the limits of what my kit can do for a 5 Gallon batch (I use US gallons, then convert to litres). But against all odds the mash went perfectly.

The manifold didn't try to dismantle itself mid brew (It isn't fun trying to reassemble a manifold that is covered in grains and water at 68°C) and I didn't manage to spill half the wort (I should have video'd it to prove it to Rich ).

Everything went well up until the end of the boil. Tried to drain the kettle and it kept clogging. In the end I had to manually decant a whole heap of wort/trub/mess. I must have left about a gallon in the kettle.

Any suggestions as to a design of hop strainer to prevent this from happening? I've attached a picture of what I'm using.

It is a ring of 10mm microbore copper pipe. There is a series of cuts about 1-2mm in width that go half way into the pipe. When in use these would face downwards.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? It is easily removed for modification and I am pretty easy w.r.t. fashioning a new one.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Amarillo works really well with Cascade too! Although i do like my 'Summer Ale' which is 40BU's of just Cascades - bought that to GF last year and went down well - got 12 bottles ready for this year!!
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
      got 12 bottles ready for this year!!
      Good man .

That stuff ALMOST got me making beer.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        Good man .

I've got some wheat beer (SWMBO Belgian Beer from homebrewtalk.com) and an amber ale of my own creation (infused with amarillo and bramling cross hops) to take to GF. I look forward to trying DaveH's beer.

Heh. I've just given the game away that this weeks brew was a leftovers beer
        Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
        Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
        -Police Squad

Comment

I used the braided hose off some old tap fittings. Similar to this ...

Hacksaw the fittings off, pull the rubber bit out of the middle and then use jubilee clips to fit. Bingo

Just a short one of these works really well.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
            Good man .

High praise indeed! Thank you sir

*doffs cap*
            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Working...
            X