Olde Speckled Hen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olde Speckled Hen

When looking for a OSH recipe, I settled on P174 of Graham Wheeler's Brew your own British Real Ale.

A lot of 'other recipes' refer to Lyle's Golden Syrup and Dememera Sugar.

So having done a couple now - I want to fiddle abotu a bit - for my next brew same recipe (P174) but replace 100g of granulated with 100g Soft brown.

Also which yeast Nottingham or Gervin English Ale?

Thoughts chaps please?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I like the sound of the soft brown. Bit more of a caramely flavour than demarararararara. Should go well in the OSH!

Not sure how Gervin works out but I was pretty happy with Nottingham. You could try being REALLY radical with the yeast and see how it goes with a Belgian Ale Yeast
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

How much differance does the 100g of sugar make?

I'd go with the soft brown too. Also seen molasses sugar in tesco, maybe a bit dark though.

Comment

I thought 100 grams would be a gentle start..

Molasses - use with care! It has a bitter finish that can take you by surprise. I have 1/2 a barrel of syrup that I am not really sure what to do with. Makes good rum.

Nottingham - was pleased with the first run, but it was not easy to start. Having difficulty getting it and it is twice the price !!
        Net gossip reports problems with it starting, but I think that was a bad batch
        AND that they are both being the same strain !!!! Dunno.

Gervin - got off to a flyng start in second batch. Not yet ready for a taste comparison yet although I varied the recipe too!!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
        X