Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific Gravity levels

Hello,
    New to beer making and first attempt. I am at the first stage is fermentation of a lager brew. It is now twelve days since I set up the wort and its temperature has sat at 20 degree throughout this period. However, for the last four days the SG of the wort has remained at a steady 1.008 and will not fall any further. The instructions that came with the kit say that the SG need to fall to 1.005 and remain at that level for two days before I can proceed to the second stage of fermentation. How critical is this level?

Does any one know what I am doing wrong?

Please help before I loss this batch of Christmas cheer.

update

Sorry I forgot to say that I am using a brew kit if that makes any difference.

Comment

1.008 is fine, proceed with the instructions.

If it hasn't moved in 4 day's then it's not going to drop any more, 1.008 is quite acceptable as a finishing gravity.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

absolutely. Couldn't have put is better myself

Not sure I could even read the difference between 1005 and 1008 on most hydrometers !
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Many many thanks to those that replied.

First time of making a post and more that impressed about the quick response.

I can see that I am going to enjoy my time on this site.

John.

Comment

Working...
          X