Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation of secondary fermentation stage

Hi Folks,

I am at the stage of moving my wort to the pressure barrel. My VERY limited knowledge base is missing a important concept. On priming the barrel what part does the sugar play? Is it necessary to use the sugar in the proportions as described in my instruction AND prime my wort with CO2 to get my beer carbonated? Perhaps these play a different role in the process.

While I am on the subject of carbonation, can I use the 'Soda stream' CO2 bottle to carbonate my beer and if so does anyone know what connector that I need to hook it up with the barrel.

And lastly, what part does 'finnings' play in the process of beer making and when do I introduce it into the process.

Phew! I know that I am asking a lot of questions here. If I should be constructing my posts in some other way can someone please tell me.

Once again, Many Thanks.

The sugar primes the barrel, in a sealed environment (the barrel) the yeast eat the sugar, producing the co2 which can't escape, and stays trapped in the beer. This should be enough to get at least the first half out the barrel I'd thought if you have a good seal, and not drinking it too quick. The extra c02 from a bottle will help if you drink it fast, or want it a bit fizzier.

You can use a soda stream, but it's a certain bottle type I think that the adaptors are made for.

Finnings are dependant on what sort they are, follow the instructions on the packet precisely. If you are patient, and can allow your barrel time to age somewhere cool after it's primed, then you shouldn't need them, it should drop clear on it's own.

Your posts are fine, the only stupid question will be the one you don't ask..

Rich

Comment

Many thanks.

Now I know where I am going I can get on with it.

John.

Comment

Working...
      X