No announcement yet.

Mash tuns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add my 2p to the discussion. The Cascade ale you guys tried at grapefest was batch sparged, however i do have a 'traditional' cool-box mash tun & copper manifold (i.e. I split my total liquor into 2 parts, 1st half of liquor + grain allowance+mt loss allowance, wait 90 mins, run-off; add 2nd sparge water, stir like feck and then leave for 10-15 mins and then run off 2nd half) I find that batch sparging works pretty well for me with the setup i have, and, as you guys can testify, doesn't half produce a decent beer!!

This 'discussion' seems to be taking the same lines as a forum thread at 'The Other Place' (Jim's), where a whole long and quite acrimonious debate has been taking place over BIAB beers, and technique in general. TBH i don't get it - if you find a system that works for you, and produces a quality product, then why argue about whether other 'systems' work or not/are traditional or not? Surely it's all about the final product, isn't it???????????

Cheers guys

D.
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Robert,

It was never my intention to offend, though it seems I inadvertently have and for that I apologise.

Brewing I suspect is similar to winemaking - and that frustrates me likewise when I have customers making white white to a red wine method. bizarre yes, annoying yes, but different strokes for different folks.

Sorry I never intended to offend.
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 23-11-2010, 02:55 PM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        sure you can!

in goes the water, swirl around...allow to settle.....drain off wort till clear, then carefully pour back on top liquid in mash tun and run wort off through grain bed, this ensures as Robert says max release of sugars, and also filters the wort.

that's how I do it anyhow

regards
        Bob
        .... but that means using the tap !!!! AAAArrrg. And you know all about my Gillian McKeith style phobia of taps!! not to mention and the filtery plate jobby things I don't have (or want to wash out for hours)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Rich does a cracking combination job using a mash bag and a flase bottom. All the grains are contained in the bag and can be washed using the false bottom in the usual batch sparging method. All the grains are contained and cleaning up amounts to no more than givign everything a good old rinse. It really doesn't add much clean up time at all. Manifolds are worse (IMO) because they need to be disasembled.

However, I'm going to go with Dave and say if your happy with your results stick with it. If you want to try to some changes then there are plenty of ideas here.

Oh, and before I go, I have some detailts in a book at home on using a syphon rather than a tap to get the wort out of the mash tun when using a manifold/false bottom.
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Robert,

It was never my intention to offend, though it seems I inadvertently have and for that I apologise.

Brewing I suspect is similar to winemaking - and that frustrates me likewise when I have customers making white white to a red wine method. bizarre yes, annoying yes, but different strokes for different folks.

Sorry I never intended to offend.
            No worries Celler Rat. I also need to take partial blame for over reacting. Were good.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

robert i took your advice and use braided hose works a treat so far 1 brew
              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Right on I find it is the easiest and the cleanest of the systems when done a quick rinse and you are ready for the next time.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Definaitly. I've had such success with replacing the manifold in my boiler with a braided hose I'm going to replace the manifold in my mash tun with a false bottom and braided hose.
                  Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                  Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                  -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
                    robert i took your advice and use braided hose works a treat so far 1 brew
                    I use braided hose in my boiler - must agree brill!

Comment

Working...
                    X