Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corny kegs

Hi chaps,

I quite fancy a corny to make some beer with (I do enough bottling with wine and don't fancy doing loads of beer bottling anytime soon).

What exactly do I need and is the gas expensive and would I just use it to carbonate instead of priming with sugar?

Also, is it safe to use it as I need it as its topped off with gas? I take it its co2?

And if I get bored of beer can I use it to make sparkling wine?

Thanks

Yes, you could use it to make sparkly wine after..

Cheapest way to start would be to get a keg with a s30 valve already in it. Cheapest long term would be to get a pub gas bottle and regulator.

A nice compromise is the midget widget gas system. (Which also can work on sodastream bottles)

You can force carbonate with co2, after putting clear beer in but it can use a lot of gas. Priming with sugar will lead to sediment in the first couple of pints pulled off. I've been force carbonating my ale, but will be priming my lager.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      Yes, you could use it to make sparkly wine after..

Cheapest way to start would be to get a keg with a s30 valve already in it. Cheapest long term would be to get a pub gas bottle and regulator.

A nice compromise is the midget widget gas system. (Which also can work on sodastream bottles)

You can force carbonate with co2, after putting clear beer in but it can use a lot of gas. Priming with sugar will lead to sediment in the first couple of pints pulled off. I've been force carbonating my ale, but will be priming my lager.
      Roger, so if using the s30 prime and use the gas to top up?

How much are we talking for the s30 type bottle against a standad pub gas bottle?

Comment

Hiya,

Pub gas I've no idea really.. Depends if you have a local supplier cheaply. I couldn't find anything local so I'm using a Midget widget handle with a sodastream cylinder on.

I have one corny with an s30 valve on top, it seems a bit of a faff though with knowing how much gas to put in, then s30 built in relief valve operating at about 5psi (cornies can go a lot higher, and have a built in relief valve) The MW system has a nice gauge to tell you the pressure (I've fitted a 0-30psi one)

How many cornies you planning for? Also what type of beer?

Comment

Hiya,

Pub gas I've no idea really.. Depends if you have a local supplier cheaply. I couldn't find anything local so I'm using a Midget widget handle with a sodastream cylinder on.

I have one corny with an s30 valve on top, it seems a bit of a faff though with knowing how much gas to put in, then s30 built in relief valve operating at about 5psi (cornies can go a lot higher, and have a built in relief valve) The MW system has a nice gauge to tell you the pressure (I've fitted a 0-30psi one)

How many cornies you planning for? Also what type of beer?
          Just one to try for the time being (kegs) I'm hoping I'll get on with one as it sounds pretty handy and I've no idea what kind of beer although I'd like something like badgers golden glory if possible. I'm sick of drinking commercial lagers (stella etc) as they are pretty bland and un-interesting.

I've been wanting to try beer making for a while but as said previously the bottling always puts me off.

How long does the small gas canister last and do you have to top up everytime you take beer out?

Comment

interested in this as very close to buying cornie,s as bottling is becoming a faff and running out of bottles
            http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
            http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Merry Christmas morning..

You could get away with one, but for the amount of investment etc 2 or 4 is much better.. Normanumpa on ebay sells two dented ones with 2 disconnects and some line for £65. The disconnects are 15 to 18 usually so that not abad price for the kegs. Then you can have one in use while one ages.

The midget widget gas system runs to about £20 or £25 pounds new, plus a cylinder, These are £20 outright and about a fiver for a refill. The 35litre sodastream bottles screw on if you're careful. No idea how long they last, still on my first one. The SS bottles are exchangeable through sodastreams website, MW bottles can still be posted by stonehelm.co.uk. I've found the MW system to be excellent. I've fitted a 0 to 30psi gauge to tell me the pressure in the keg, dispensing at about 5psi for my old speckled hen. I find it needs a smidge more gas after I've poured 2 pints.

The gas usage will be high if you use it to force carbonate, I charged the OSH to about 25psi and kept it in the warm, the following day it had gone right down to ~5psi, this went on for the first week whilst it absorbed the co2. I think in future I will prime the keg, give it a blast of co2 to seal it all up, then leave it carbonate on it's on in the warm. The first few pints out will be most of the waste in the base. Some people trim their pick up tubes so it doesn't suck the crap out.

I've just got a cheapo party tap fitted to mine at the moment, but I do plan on getting a proper tap fitted up for it eventually.

Any more q's fire away..

Comment

Merry Christmas morning..

You could get away with one, but for the amount of investment etc 2 or 4 is much better.. Normanumpa on ebay sells two dented ones with 2 disconnects and some line for £65. The disconnects are 15 to 18 usually so that not abad price for the kegs. Then you can have one in use while one ages.

The midget widget gas system runs to about £20 or £25 pounds new, plus a cylinder, These are £20 outright and about a fiver for a refill. The 35litre sodastream bottles screw on if you're careful. No idea how long they last, still on my first one. The SS bottles are exchangeable through sodastreams website, MW bottles can still be posted by stonehelm.co.uk. I've found the MW system to be excellent. I've fitted a 0 to 30psi gauge to tell me the pressure in the keg, dispensing at about 5psi for my old speckled hen. I find it needs a smidge more gas after I've poured 2 pints.

The gas usage will be high if you use it to force carbonate, I charged the OSH to about 25psi and kept it in the warm, the following day it had gone right down to ~5psi, this went on for the first week whilst it absorbed the co2. I think in future I will prime the keg, give it a blast of co2 to seal it all up, then leave it carbonate on it's on in the warm. The first few pints out will be most of the waste in the base. Some people trim their pick up tubes so it doesn't suck the crap out.

I've just got a cheapo party tap fitted to mine at the moment, but I do plan on getting a proper tap fitted up for it eventually.

Any more q's fire away..
                Merry Christmas t- 1.34 until lunch! whooohhooooo

Thanks for the info I shall have look tonight and report back with any more questions.

Comment

These things are brilliant. I have a few. For beer, still wine and sparling.

What you need is a friendly pub or a pub supplier.
                  Kegs are £40 ish
                  CO2 Regs £10-£15 ish (get a gauge you know what pressure you have then)
                  Gas CO2 - beer and sparling wine- £10
                  Most come with push fit fitting - else £5 a pair (in and out)

Mixed gas is required for STILL WINE*
                  Mixed gas reg £50 - £60
                  Gas Mixed gas £22 70/30 nitrogen/Co2 + deposit.
                  Mixed gas is more ££ and a bit more difficult to get.
                  * if you want the details on why, ask and I will bore you with it!

Tip 1 - get an extra OUT connector and use this to wash the dip tube by reverse flow - saves gas.

Tip 2 - push fit (with balls) is better and more prolific than pin and twist.

IMO the soft drink industry spent millions designing and building this system - use their fittings - they are better I have proved it. Is it worth saving a £5 and then have a batch leak or go off, 'cos your diy failed? Just a thought. Buy in to the system and it works very well.

Watch ebay for stuff too.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Just a standard beer keg? How much do they hold.... There was around 20 outside my local pub until recently after the new landlord landed
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 27-12-2010, 02:30 PM. Reason: removed quote

Comment

You would likely find a standard pub keg hard to clean, and indeed fill, they hold around 22 gallons (I Think)

the corny kegs are great, handy size (18 or 19 litre depending on manufacturer)

they are easy to clean, and easy to use.

I got mos of mine from Normanmumpa on ebay.

I looked at the mini widget system, but then luckily found someone selling a pukka pub set up

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thats the chap. Normanmumpa

Couldn't think of it earlier - great chap = does all the spares too. MOst of mine came form there too.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                          Thats the chap. Normanmumpa

Couldn't think of it earlier - great chap = does all the spares too. MOst of mine came form there too.
                          Got him as a "saved seller" on ebay (and no, apart from some valves, O rings etc, he hasn't got any corny kegs available at the moment).....

regards

jtfb
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            I got mos of mine from Normanmumpa on ebay.
                            That Ebay ID comes back as invalid?

Comment

email NORMANSPLACE(at)HOTMAIL.COM as contacted through ebay and he asked me to contact on this address
                              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X