Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• securing of air tight beer barrel.

Hi folks,
    I am a newbie to be making. I have just recently secured my first homebrew in my pressure barrel. It is now ready to drink but I opted for the gas injection method to aerate the beer.
    Unfortunately, within minutes of the injection of the co2 the meter reads zero.
    And I have tried sealing all the connections around the neck of the barrel, including the injector with Vaseline in the attempt to create an airtight seal. Therefore, the only place left for the leakage of the CO2 to occur is that the pouring spout at the bottom of the barrel. But, as I'm sure you're aware, it is difficult at the best of times to remove the spout from the barrel and replace it again due to the position of the locking nut which is enclosed inside the barrel.
    In other words, does anybody know a method in which to make the barrel are tight. I have no reason to believe that the barrel itself is punctured.
    Many thanks!

Have you used vaseline on the rubber o ring around the top?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Vaseline is only generally used on the big O ring.
      It is not for airtightness - it is to ensure you have at least a fighting chance of getting it apart after several weeks in sticky beer.

Do we know exactly what is leaking?

If no - lets find out.......
      Make up a soapy water solution say 2 cups of water a squirt of fairy liquid.
      Dribble / splash this lightly over everything that may be leaking.
      Pressurize and watch for bubbles.
      Wash thoroughly before opening.

What sort of barrel is it? what sort of connector?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X