Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watery beer.

Hi folks,
    My first attempt at brewing beer has not been exactly,what you would call successful. But did I expect this, no? I guess that's when we learn best, by our mistakes or lack of knowledge, right?
    Myquestion here is. Why does my beer taste as if it is watered down?

Many thanks!

Hi there

A little more info please, will maybe help

What sort of kit was it, and what volume did you make?

what was the start SG?
    what was the finishing SG?

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Hi there

A little more info please, will maybe help

What sort of kit was it, and what volume did you make?

what was the start SG?
      what was the finishing SG?

regards
      Bob
      Hi again,

Please forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge.

I cannot remember the brand name but it was the usual liquid extract and I made 40 pints.

The start specific gravity was 1.035 and after 13 days it finished at 1.008.

I don't know what other information would be useful to you.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards, John.

Comment

presuming this is a kit?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Well...

your alcohol level is around 3.7% so this may make it seem a tad thin.

You say you made it to 40 pints,....some of these kits are designed to make smaller batches, did you make it to the correct volume?

end of the day....its made now

I know you say it tastes watered down, but does it taste ok despite that?

if so....get it drunk and get another one on.

Some of the kits make ok beer, but not brilliant, some of them are fab, I like the ones that have no sugar added (two tins of extract) they can make great beers.

hope that helps
          regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by greerso View Post
            Hi again,

Please forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge.

I cannot remember the brand name but it was the usual liquid extract and I made 40 pints.

The start specific gravity was 1.035 and after 13 days it finished at 1.008.

I don't know what other information would be useful to you.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards, John.
            There is a way around your thinness issue. I would assume you used the recipe on the can as to quantities and and sugars added etc. You can add to the thickness in three ways. One is to tea some grains and make sure they contain caripils. Second is to add a unfermentable sugar such as Mato- Dextrin. Third is to put a couple drops of glycerin into the finished beer just before bottle priming.I have used the first two methods but never the tried. I have seen certain canned malts that contain glycerin in a small package that you add after ferment. I just upgraded to windows 7 and find no spell checker i will edit after finding one.
            Last edited by rjb222; 22-02-2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I assumed it was already in bottle Robert

but you are right, if it isnt in bottle yet, there could be some tweaks to be had
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                There is a way around your thinness issue. I would assume you used the recipe on the can as to quantities and and sugars added etc. You can add to the thickness in three ways. One is to tea some grains and make sure they contain caripils. Second is to add a unfermentable sugar such as Mato- Dextrin. Third is to put a couple drops of glycerin into the finished beer just before bottle priming.I have used the first two methods but never the tried. I have seen certain canned malts that contain glycerin in a small package that you add after ferment. I just upgraded to windows 7 and find no spell checker i will edit after finding one.
                Never thought of using glycerin in beer!

Have you tried Chrome yet? It has a built in Spell Checker.
                Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                -Police Squad

Comment

I think you are correct Bob it is in the bottle. I was looking to the future for this brewer.

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post

I have Chrome have not played with it much Just need to get used to seven (sigh) I was so happy with XP then I got that viral contact. If I ever meet or find the buxxxx that built that he or she and I will have some words.

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post

If we are getting into browsers - try 'Opera' its the best kept secret.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        try 'Opera' its the best kept secret.

no...that would be my sex change operation!
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

anyway....back on topic

have some of your buddies come round and help you drink it.

I suspect though a little age on it will help a little, how long since it stopped fermenting?
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I was also thinking along the lines of 'was it really a 40 pinter?'.

Heard this the other day..........

Two old chaps sitting wheezing and dribbling in the rest home, one slides his oxygen mask aside and says to his mate....
                            "Do you know if we hadn't given up drinkin' an' smokin' we could have missed all this!"

Comment

Working...
                            X