Hop Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Ball

I am trying to perfect a quicker full grain brewing method.

Following Bob's plan for using the lidl boiler with mash bag I got to thinking about the hopping method and found this...

Hmmm...
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

The only problem I could see with that is the circulation of the wort through the ball might be impeeded.

Personally, I use a grain bag for the hops too. Works brilliantly in the LIDL boiler.
    Last edited by koomber; 27-07-2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: I'm a lemon
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
      Personally, I use a grain bag for the hops too. Works brilliantly in the LIDL boiler.
      The same grain bag ?

The wife wants one for rice, so when she is not looking... I will do some tests!

I am quite looking forward to a quicker brewing process. I am planning to take the LIDL boiler apart any minute now..
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I got myself a pack of these:

Bit pricey, but they do a cracking job and a frighteningly large amount of clag sticks to the bag during the boil. They are just cracking for the hops. I've never tried using one for grain, mostly because I don't trust the stitching.

Rich has a link to someone who makes the bags custome style and by all accounts they are legendary.
        -Police Squad

Comment

The amount of clag was my only concern about the ball. The hole will let a lot of it out.

Not god having big holes in your balls. (sorry bob!)

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Not god having big holes in your balls. (sorry bob!)
            Reminded me of this:

My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              Reminded me of this:

How very appropriate!
              -Police Squad

Comment

First things first. Arrived today. Looks the part. Good size I personally think it will do the job well.

My theory will be tested tomorrow.

Comment

I think whether it works in the boil or not, it would be perfect for dry hopping.

The latest brew I did I recycled the dry hops from another brew and used them for the bittering hops. Since the components for bittering aren't affected by dry hopping they should still remain in the hops for the bittering. A bit cheap I know but seems an interesting idea.
                  -Police Squad

Comment

Appeared to work ok in the boil, but only taste of course will tell. It also cooks good rice - bargain !

Comment

Didn't use the LIDL boiler in the end for mash. Too scarey. too many changes in one go.

Mashed normally in insulated tank. Boiled normally in burco with hop ball and left to cool (no chilling) ferment stared next day.

Hop ball and not chilling were the changes on test this time.

Observations:
                      • Boil was much cleaner, not frothing everywhere.
                      • Liquor was clear (as if it had had cold break)
                      • Racking was easy
                      • Quite surprised that next day it was still 37.8c

But one thing also puzzles me. The famous 'rolling boil' we try to achieve with the LIDL boiler. My burco has a stat and cuts in/out as you would expect. Boils brill. A standard LIDL boiler is the same (tested) so whats the difference? maintaining 98-103c but neither 'are rolling'.
                      In practical terms 'rolling boil' in cheffy terms medium simmer - is quite hard to do with electric (its on or off (generally)) where as with gas you can turn it down.

So my question is - what does the tweak to the boiler ACTUALLY do - just turn it up a bit? I can't help but think this is perhaps a little unnecessary? Or have I missed the point?

Comment

Tasted the first bottle of the OSH made with a Hop Ball.

Tasting - this is bizaare !

Wait for it !

If anything the bittering is improved - side by side this is noticeably more bitter that the previous batch where the hops were added loose to the boil. But it is a younger beer - does bittering mellow perhaps?

But certainly my hop ball is here to stay. Success!!

Comment

most excellent
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Many Breweries use a similar system bigger of course so the hop crud is not left in the beer during ferment. As long as the wert can flow through freely the hop properties should get passed along to the beer. Some breweries are now using staging of their hops. They stick to one type for bittering flavoring and aroma. They will use the new hops for aroma then next boil they are used for flavoring the next boil for bittering. this came about due to the hop shortage a couple years ago to do this properly you need a recirculating type system to get everything out of the hop.
                            Last edited by rjb222; 17-08-2011, 10:22 PM.
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                              So my question is - what does the tweak to the boiler ACTUALLY do - just turn it up a bit? I can't help but think this is perhaps a little unnecessary? Or have I missed the point?
                              Without the 'tweak' my lidl boiler would just about boil with the lid on. With it, it boils over quite readily

regards

mark

ps Just bought the rice ball. can't wait to try it and save on the scrubbing!

http://markblades.com
                              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                              X