A cider website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cider website

I thought it was a good read so I have passed it on, hope you don't mind bob.

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
    http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm

There do seem to be a few cider sites out there, but none of them seem as well organised as either wine or mead (dunno about beer as I don't make any) sites......

A bit like the cider specific boards, they all seem to be old tech/design and not very coherent. Weird.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      There do seem to be a few cider sites out there, but none of them seem as well organised as either wine or mead (dunno about beer as I don't make any) sites......

A bit like the cider specific boards, they all seem to be old tech/design and not very coherent. Weird.....
      I could be wrong but I would imagine most of the hard core cider makers live in a different world where only barrels and trees exist

Comment

I could be wrong but I would imagine most of the hard core cider makers live in a different world where only barrels and trees exist
        Yes, I suspect that's exactly the problem.

It's like the best info for milling and pressing, seems to come from US sites/locations.

For instance, I don't understand why it is that people don't realise that the quickest way to "scrat"/pulp/mill the apples is to buy a cheap garbage disposal unit from the plumbing supplies place, then fit it into a cheap wooden hopper and frame. It comes out the consistency of apple sauce straight into buckets. Then you just get an old bread/cake tray to hold the pressing cloths to make a "cheese" and that's in turn, pressed with a press made from a cheap workshop hydraulic press (or hydraulic bottle jack) and wooden frame to hold the pressing boards and direct the juice flow into a bucket. Hell you can get a workshop press, brand new, off ebay for less than a hundred quid that's rated at 12 tonnes pressure. Which makes the Vigo "basket" type spindle presses look like daylight robbery......

Ah well, you can only tell 'em can't you eh!

regards

fatbloke
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes, I suspect that's exactly the problem.

For instance, I don't understand why it is that people don't realise that the quickest way to "scrat"/pulp/mill the apples is to buy a cheap garbage disposal unit from the plumbing supplies place, then fit it into a cheap wooden hopper and frame. It comes out the consistency of apple sauce straight into buckets. Then you just get an old bread/cake tray to hold the pressing cloths to make a "cheese" and that's in turn, pressed with a press made from a cheap workshop hydraulic press (or hydraulic bottle jack) and wooden frame to hold the pressing boards and direct the juice flow into a bucket.

The reason that they don't is that if you pulp the apples to sauce consistency it becomes very difficult to press due to the 'sauce' blocking up the cheese cloths.

The apples should be chunked into small pieces for optimal pressing. Otherwise you'll spend most of you time cleaning apple sauce from the cloths.

Comment

The reason that they don't is that if you pulp the apples to sauce consistency it becomes very difficult to press due to the 'sauce' blocking up the cheese cloths.

The apples should be chunked into small pieces for optimal pressing. Otherwise you'll spend most of you time cleaning apple sauce from the cloths.
            Ah, well having successfully pulped and pressed apples like that, we'd have to agree to disagree....

Plus it depends on the press etc. If I could afford one of those excellent belt presses then I'd be a "pig in sh1t"...... its just the lack of the necessary €6000........

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ah, well having successfully pulped and pressed apples like that, we'd have to agree to disagree....

Plus it depends on the press etc. If I could afford one of those excellent belt presses then I'd be a "pig in sh1t"...... its just the lack of the necessary €6000........
              The difference in opinion will come down to volume I would imagine it would drive you to distraction with 100lb apple goo

Comment

http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm

not a problem at all
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

What sort of % juice extraction rates are you getting with apples pulped in your garbage disposal unit scratter and pressed in your home made rack & cloth press?
                  My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Having processed apples any which way (and loose) freezing and thawing , then pressing seems to give me

a) the purest and best tasting juice

and

b) the best yields

regards
                    bob

(dont have % figures...sorry David...its purely anecdotal)
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Last Thursday we processed around 190kg of apples and got 156lts of juice, about 80%.
                      Used a garden shredder (saved from going to landfill) which gives a pulp similar to rough grated apple.
                      Pressed in home made Rack and Cloth press, wooden frame (used second hand wood I had lying arround) and 8 ton bottle jack.
                      Dunem Mill terylene net curtains for cloths.
                      Total cost £35. Result

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        What sort of % juice extraction rates are you getting with apples pulped in your garbage disposal unit scratter and pressed in your home made rack & cloth press?
                        It belonged to a friend and no, we didn't measure %'s and extraction rates either. We did about 70kg of apples and the former for the "cheeses" was one of those green baskets like you see in the fruit/veg section of tesco's (with the base cut out), the pressing cloths, I believe, came from Vigo and we were using 2 layers/thicknesses for each "wrapping". I don't know how much he got total (they'd already started when I turned up), but we managed to get about 4 x 27 litre fermenters in the time I was there.

The left over pulp was of the consistency of damp marzipan.

I suspect that it was all about speed of processing, rather than quantity of yield and quality of juice. It all ended up as rough cider anyway. Certainly good enough to get very drunk on, for not a lot of £'s.

I've been thinking on what Bob said (he mentioned it to me before), because it would be nice to get some reasonable juice (clarity/quality) from the apples I can get hold of for nothing - hopefully to become cyser. Suggested it to the friend, who just said "b******s, it's just as cheap doing it this way and I don't have to get another freezer". So I might have to experiment further myself.

I'll have to wait and see......

regards

jtfb

Some blog ramblings

Comment

It belonged to a friend and no, we didn't measure %'s and extraction rates either. We did about 70kg of apples and the former for the "cheeses" was one of those green baskets like you see in the fruit/veg section of tesco's (with the base cut out), the pressing cloths, I believe, came from Vigo and we were using 2 layers/thicknesses for each "wrapping". I don't know how much he got total (they'd already started when I turned up), but we managed to get about 4 x 27 litre fermenters in the time I was there.
                          So you got 108kg (4 x 27 litres) of juice from 70 kg of apples ?

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          Having processed apples any which way (and loose) freezing and thawing , then pressing seems to give me

a) the purest and best tasting juice

and

b) the best yields
                          I do that with pears, but despite having 5 freezers it's not feasible for the 2,000 lbs of apples I press each year.
                          Last edited by David; 26-09-2011, 03:55 PM.
                          My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Working...
                          X