Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new boiler ( as against old boiler - sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new boiler ( as against old boiler - sorry)

As you may guessed from my other threads I am looking for a new boiler!

I have seen this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906865607...84.m1423.l2649

This presumably stands on a gas ring - no issues there.

But does anybody else think, that whatever is in the pipe to the stands a good chance of burning and causing off flavours?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Unless I missed it why are you looking for a new boiler? Your other post says you had a burco, what is wrong with that...?

Comment

Every time I brew it overflows, to get a 23 L batch in, it's half an inch from the rim.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I've got one of these,

They will post to UK if you email them, and cut a better deal not through ebay.

With an immersion element in it, and a tap with hop stopper. They also do 70l and 100l versions.

I wrap some foil type insulation round it if boiling outside on cold winter days.

Ref the boiler you link to, I think that the liquid in the pipe could boil up a lot if in direct flame, maybe you could block a couple of jets on the gas hob to avoid that (That might not be such a good idea, and I have no experience of this, nor do I advise it!)
        Last edited by Rich; 23-03-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The one you have posted is a lautering tun it is not intended to boil. I think Rich is right in the tube on the bottom could be a problem using a burner. I have seen these old kegs made up into a boiler though. Very deluxe with hop strainers ETC. The difference is where the ball valve comes out. The boiler comes out about 1 inch 2.5 ml above the actual bottom of the vessel not through the bottom then through the chime. I would say you are on the right track just keep looking. If you can find a used stainless steel keg and know some one that has the skills and tools the conversion is simple and cheap.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Every time I brew it overflows, to get a 23 L batch in, it's half an inch from the rim.
            Ah yes of course, I only do a 19l brew length to fit a cornie and only boil for an hour so I don't lose too much to vapour. It can get a bit tight in a burco for 5 gallon though plenty of people manage it.

The pots Rich mentions are very highly thought of over on Jims and if you don't fancy doing the DIY then the malt miller does these pots with the cuts etc. Just google 'malt miller' to find out.

If you do fancy a bit of DIY then PM me because thinking about it I might have a solution for you for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Sorted. I think we might have have a winner. THANK YOU. I feel a spot of free translation.com coming on.

I have an enormous gas ring, which I could to try a couple of brews on first !! I think gas will be better! but if it isn't I can install and immersion heater in this, bingo!! (I have another thread discussing rolling boil/thermostatic boil)

UPDATE:

mash tun.jpg

Blimey - I have just found where my mush Tun came from! and that is brilliant!

Ref the boiler you link to, I think that the liquid in the pipe could boil up a lot if in direct flame, maybe you could block a couple of jets on the gas hob to avoid that (That might not be such a good idea, and I have no experience of this, nor do I advise it!)
              This was another option I was looking at, but to be fair that keg is very heavy before we start, and the tap/pipe fitting was dubious.

Thank you for your help. Nice one.
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-03-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                If you do fancy a bit of DIY then PM me because thinking about it I might have a solution for you for sale!
                You have mail!!

Comment

A bit off topic probably. But if anybody is interested this is the link to the mash tun in the picture. These really are excellent. A mash bag fits over it perfectly, and it drops less than 1° if you preheat it. Mine has made some superb beers. I bought it on eBay ages ago and has only just discovered where it came from.

(Shame it has a tap, never mind)

Comment

No translation required Brian, email them in English and tell them what you require and ask how much postage is to uk. I got two 50 litre ones delivered a while ago for just under £80 I think.

Comment

brill thanks for the tip

Comment

I've got one of these,

They will post to UK if you email them, and cut a better deal not through eBay
                        Thanks agian - order in progress

Comment

No problem.

Comment

All the bits of arrived, just about put it together, but I have another question...

If I'm going to be building a big suspended hop strainer, do I still need a hop filter behind the tap?
                            Further do I need a tap all - what about the siphon? After all I will only be dealing with cool wort not hot!

Comment

Syphoning is over-looked in the all grain process in my view. In the past I have mashed in a grain bag in a coolbox and just used syphons for fly sparging when everyone else is building manifolds and faffing with taps on coolboxes...

To answer your specific question, I'd say if the suspended pot has decent filtration capability, 2mm, maybe 1.5mm holes (and lots of them) then no you don't need a filter on the tap. Depends how anal you want to get about trub.

Thinking logically, you could also ferment in the pot too... Which I have also done in the past and I didn't notice any real difference! (You decided on gas I take it...?)

Comment

Working...
                              X